electric fuel pumps

Just a standard kart pulse fuel pump should be plenty. Put a "Y" in to split to each carb. Just so that the tubes are equal length. Those standard square walbro pumps supply more than any gravity fed system

I would like to run one, but have no clue as to where I could pulse the motor, couldn't find any vacuum lines or even blow by lines. It has random hoses on the carbs and one fuel line.

A breather in the cam cover? Drill and tap cam cover and put a fitting in. Just like a clone or anything else. Or you could drill and tap intake port.

Thanks, don't wanna mess with the cover but I can tap in the pvc, on the intake. Will be alot safer without a electric pump imo. Just gotta wait 23 more days till I get home.

I always thought pressurized fuel systems (like electric) were illegal.

I can't seem to find that in the book but I remember seeing that a few years back. But even a pulse type pump IS a pressurized fuel system. I believe the rule was intended to keep from pressurizing the tank. But the system being pressurized has always been necessary because we don't gravity feed. We must pump. And with the introduction of fuel injection into the UAS, we must have some sort of pump system.

I have ran into some problems before on my mustang with a big pump and a weak regulator. Not sure there would be alot of vacuum on the cover with this engine, I think it vents by the starter. Do y'all think I need to pulse from both intakes to keep it even? Thanks.

OK, per WKA:

207.3 Fuel Systems:
No pressurized fuel systems are allowed. No axle or electric fuel pumps allowed. Fuel pump must be pulse-driven. Fuel lines must be secured at all connecting points with approved fasteners such as safety wire or cable ties.

Jimbo, As I understood it, the rule is designed as such that when the engine stops running, fuel stops pumping. A much safer control for spillage and fire. Electric fuel pumps are designed to "push" fuel, not suck it. As with mechanical fuel pumps that is one reason they are mounted fuel tank level for automotive uses. Also add to that, electric fuel pumps put outlet pressure on pounds. Kart engines only require ounces of pressure to operate.

OK, per WKA:

207.3 Fuel Systems:
No pressurized fuel systems are allowed. No axle or electric fuel pumps allowed. Fuel pump must be pulse-driven. Fuel lines must be secured at all connecting points with approved fasteners such as safety wire or cable ties.

Jimbo, As I understood it, the rule is designed as such that when the engine stops running, fuel stops pumping. A much safer control for spillage and fire. Electric fuel pumps are designed to "push" fuel, not suck it. As with mechanical fuel pumps that is one reason they are mounted fuel tank level for automotive uses. Also add to that, electric fuel pumps put outlet pressure on pounds. Kart engines only require ounces of pressure to operate.

I totally understand. Not arguing that fact. But I run electronic fuel injection. We are talking UAS rules though. Not wka or ikf or AKRA or whatever else. It was in the UAS rules at one time. But like I said, by today's UAS standards and the ever evolving power plants we are seeing, a pressurized fuel system is not uncommon. My pump is mounted in the tank just like a car. Tank is vented as usual. But the electronics kill the pump in the event of pressure loss, engine quits, or even (God forbid) a rollover. I would agree that an electric pump such as what Kevin is referring to should not be used without a fail safe of some sort. But even so, it is way more pressure and volume than a bike, gravity fueled, engine could ever need or use. A standard kart pulse pump is way more than a gravity system can use. Most pulse pumps even create problems on Tilly's or other similar carbs with a pop off. They may have a tendency to pop off and force fuel in. And that same thing is why most guys put a return line in with a float carb. That pulse pump will force fuel through the needle and seat and overflow the carb and dump fuel on the ground and/ or flood the motor.

All cool guys going with the pulse, uas is about creativity and thinking outside the box. It has a few rules and thats it, everyone keeps trying to bring wka and akra up don't care about their rules on the UAS kart.

All cool guys going with the pulse, uas is about creativity and thinking outside the box. It has a few rules and thats it, everyone keeps trying to bring wka and akra up don't care about their rules on the UAS kart.

Funny, I know a lot of UAS rules which follow other organization's rules. Besides, my post was meant more as an example as to why electric pumps are not a good idea. Just because its UAS and not WKA or AKRA doesn't change one key thing....... safety.

We used the mikuni ones in the 90's and lasted a pretty good bit. We flushed them with gas after the races though. I think the plastic ones they use now might work but not near as long.

I have a electric pump on my Swiss Auto, pumps 35 pounds, No problems or safety concerns.

I have some concerns with your kart! Maybe we need to park it for a few months and discard any finishes if you did run it. For Safety??

i agree with you swindle and Jiimmy. that thing needs parked until someone from a good tech company can come evaluate it. it has some serious safety concernes in my eyes! Where do we start I mean the down force enhancer's, being way over weight for it, that sweet concoction belt drive set up. The guy doesnt even need a windscreen because his legs are so long and high the arrow downforce is crazy on the front of that kart, and now this fuel system that he is raving about. something has to change and I think getting that thing parked and tech'd is the best thing for it. it may take some time to get a good tech guy to really go through it but im sure he will understand for safety!

Back