Electric kart lift measurements

Bradley71

Anybody want to send me a pic of their homemade lift with some dimensions.i need to get a idea of widths and heights.i went to race yesterday and my gf is too short to lift my kart up.she looked up one and said they was a 1000$ so she dropped that pretty quick.šŸ˜‚but i have a grinder and welder and i really dont want to waste a bunch of time and materials if someone could point me in a right direction.thanks bradley.

Honestly I would wait to find a used one. Most of the new ones I have seen are $750 or so but I see a lot of used ones in the 300-400 dollar range. Plan on spending $50 for a new battery and you are set.

I am currently building one, and I am finding out that material is rather pricey if you are buying from a regular store. What I did first is bought some 2x4's from home depot and ripped them into 1 1/2" square "tubing". I built the entire thing in wood first to make sure it functioned correctly before I started cutting metal. For mine you need 20 feet of 1 1/2" tubing, 6) 1x1x36", and various other plates. Then nuts and bolts and wheels and winch and battery, bronze bushings the list goes on.... If you could find one for $400 it would be a good deal. I guarantee I have $400 into mine already and I didn't even pay for the 1 1/2" tubing. But when it is finished I will be happy to share the measurements.

Full disclosure: mine is not your typical lift, and is self-powered. Meaning no pushing or pulling, think mobility scooter.

Norman Sullivan on Fbook, in Kentucky builds them. Also tire racks etc. $650 for a Big Wheel electric kart stand. I paid 450 for mine but it doesnt have the bigger wheels. Here's a pic of the big wheel.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1643028804869.jpg
    FB_IMG_1643028804869.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 613
Here ya go.i laid it out on floor.by a string line it should work..

Attachments

• 85638860-012F-4160-A826-C6A3483E1463.jpeg
    85638860-012F-4160-A826-C6A3483E1463.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 1,059
  • 54EDA9E7-271F-44BC-9601-5BC529B94447.jpeg
    54EDA9E7-271F-44BC-9601-5BC529B94447.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 1,162
I built this last winter using just picture I had got from the internet of a few different brands. I will try to grab some dimensions tomorrow. Going to build a second this winter. Things I will change
-first time was too high. I had to cut the arms down after finally lifting a kart. I didn't have a kart at home when I built it and was to high to be comfortable.
I need to increse the angle of the rear arms. This will allow more distance between front and back arms. I'm using for cadets karts but when I lifted my buddies shifter it was a little bouncy
-pneumatic tires for front. I bought a cheap set and the bearing was cheap so I bought a beautiful set. Turns out it is flat free tire and after the kart sits for a while the wheel reforms and it takes more effort to start pushing. I will get a third set of tires this year to fix that.
-I would make the stand 2 inches wider. Again it fits our cadet karts great but with an adult kart I would moment he front bar to be a bit wider for more wiggle room.
-The hooks need to be from 1/4" steel. I had some 3/16" on hand and they worked for a bit but bend slightly and need to be bent back. I spent all summer saying I would make a set next week and never found the time...

Was it worth it? Yes. I built the lift and a stacked for under $700 Canadian and sickly sold the stacked for $400 when I decided I don't want it in my garage until I bought a 3rd kart. I could have easily shaved $50-80 If I didn't buy so many extra bolts and bushings (I tend to go overboard and if need 2 I buy 6.) And I chose to use dressier looking hardware to make it pretty. It was fun to build and everyone thinks I bought it. There us a lot of satisfaction in building something and using it. Beside with vivid lockdown there wasn't a lot else to do last winter.

Attachments

• IMG_6304.jpg
    IMG_6304.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 340
I am currently building one, and I am finding out that material is rather pricey if you are buying from a regular store. What I did first is bought some 2x4's from home depot and ripped them into 1 1/2" square "tubing". I built the entire thing in wood first to make sure it functioned correctly before I started cutting metal. For mine you need 20 feet of 1 1/2" tubing, 6) 1x1x36", and various other plates. Then nuts and bolts and wheels and winch and battery, bronze bushings the list goes on.... If you could find one for $400 it would be a good deal. I guarantee I have $400 into mine already and I didn't even pay for the 1 1/2" tubing. But when it is finished I will be happy to share the measurements.

Full disclosure: mine is not your typical lift, and is self-powered. Meaning no pushing or pulling, think mobility scooter.
Have you looked at the price of wood lately? Lol

You will have $100 in wheels/casters, 100-150 winch, 100 in metal/welding, $50 battery. No way around it that i can figure. Kart tech has a file on facebook that gives the dimensions

I added pics of the lock lever I made. That part was fun and it looks coo. The winch o bough came with a fairlead that I didnā€™t need so I was able to cut it up and use it to make the brackets and rollers for the winch strap

-Wheel base measured centre to centre front to back is 37ā€. I donā€™t think a bit longer would be a bad thing.

-Overall height from ground to bottom of kart 32ā€ this is a comfortable height for me but yours may be slightly different

-rear arm width 24ā€

-front arm 21ā€ ( this will be wider next time. Even if I just make the top bar longer and overhang each side an inch or so.

Attachments

• 1643069667892.jpeg
    1643069667892.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 224
  • 1643069725547.jpeg
    1643069725547.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 223
Im going make it 22ā€ wide inside from so the outside will be 24.5plus width of tire offset.im usin 1.25 square tube got 20ā€™ 68$ .083 wall
I see alot of guys at track and theyā€™re lifts are huge.like a 18 wheeler coming thru pits

Last edited:

You will have $100 in wheels/casters, 100-150 winch, 100 in metal/welding, $50 battery. No way around it that i can figure. Kart tech has a file on facebook that gives the dimensions
I have 90$ in wheels 84$ 3000 lb winch and 68$ 20ā€™ of .083 wall 1.25 square tubingā€¦plus a 2ā€ x1/4ā€ x2ā€™ flat bar..

One thing to consider when building is the length of wheelbase. I have a homemade stand I bought and its front wheels could probably be extended another 4 inches or so. It is a little nose heavy. There is a plus to it in that its easy to push like that, but if I hit some obstruction with a front wheel it tends to want to tip forward.

I have 90$ in wheels 84$ 3000 lb winch and 68$ 20ā€™ of .083 wall 1.25 square tubingā€¦plus a 2ā€ x1/4ā€ x2ā€™ flat bar

I have 90$ in wheels 84$ 3000 lb winch and 68$ 20ā€™ of .083 wall 1.25 square tubingā€¦plus a 2ā€ x1/4ā€ x2ā€™ flat ba
One thing to consider when building is the length of wheelbase. I have a homemade stand I bought and its front wheels could probably be extended another 4 inches or so. It is a little nose heavy. There is a plus to it in that its easy to push like that, but if I hit some obstruction with a front wheel it tends to want to tip forward.
yeah i went by length dimensions off specs on one on google thats a pretty popular one.they put the shipping length and width on there sitešŸ˜.and i kinda guessed too by bumper to tank length in the photo..

Ill share anything i know with people bc some dont have infinite money to race with,i know im one of those guys.these kart shops wont tell ya nothing and just keep raising prices.well i got news for ya they arent screwing just the parents they are screwing the kids..

I am building one as well. Itā€™s similar to the KKP design, but I decided to make my life more difficult and build it all out of aluminum and stainless steel. Hopefully can finish it up this weekend.

Attachments

• CAC825C2-BED4-4080-994F-18781A367C1B.jpeg
    CAC825C2-BED4-4080-994F-18781A367C1B.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 320
I am building one as well. Itā€™s similar to the KKP design, but I decided to make my life more difficult and build it all out of aluminum and stainless steel. Hopefully can finish it up this weekend.
I like the KKP design would you be willing to post some Dimensions?

Honestly I would wait to find a used one. Most of the new ones I have seen are $750 or so but I see a lot of used ones in the 300-400 dollar range. Plan on spending $50 for a new battery and you are set.
Any particular size or type of battery? Side terminals?

Back