Electric Kart Stand winch issues.

So pic on the right is the one with the issue. It has HF Badland 2000 Winch. Problem is as soon as you hit the button to release, that thing will pretty much drop. It like the brake that holds the line when you release the button is shot. BUT, if you get it all the way up it will stay. Like it is right now.

We have Wing Karts now, but we were in flat karts in 2022 when I bought the stand. I had a it a few months and the issue started. The stand builder replaced the winch. Said was the first to report this issue But that we took quite a break from racing. When we moved to Wing Karts it happened much sooner. They're about 100lbs heavier. I never bothered the guy again. I figured I'd find a solution on my own.

Kart Stand in the first pic has a different Winch, it's a Champion sold by a few different vendors like Sam's and Cabelas. It's still Made in China, but about $40 more, so maybe it's higher quality? I've had this stand 3 years without issue.

Do you guys think my issue is purely the quality of the winch? Or some design issue? Both stands have constant tension on the winch when the kart is on it.

Just so you know I do not transport with the Karts on the stand. They're too tall.

Just looking for a little feedback before I buy a new winch.

Attachments

• 1000006712.jpg
    1000006712.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 1000006711.jpg
    1000006711.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 4
I can't get your pics to expand at the moment so I am unable to tell the exact model of winches on your lifts or how the cable or belt is routed, however I'd think they are probably 2000# rated winches or as the lingo we use around here... "LT2000" Series of winches. Most all of those style winches are from china, even the "Rah Rah we're an USA based company Winch Manufacturer" are importing them. And a good majority of them all come from the same place, just with different decals and sometimes case colors. We order hundreds upon hundreds of winches a year and through all these years have tried/tested and compared a lot of brands including those you have mentioned.

The winged karts are possibly more nose heavy than your prior flat karts and when lowering the weight is going to cause a fast release. These styles of winches usually don't have a full time (or any) brake system on them so they will tend to do this. While it's rare we get calls or questions on this, I have on occasion from Super Kart, Winged Outlaw and QM customers have been asked on slowing a release as all those types of karts tend to have more forward weight when situated on a lift. Our belt routing method helps as it has more area to cover and more tension, we have an adjustment on the arms of the lift to put more or less weight on the arms when in the raised position and having the option to adjust the rear hooks help as raising or lowering them will adjust the amount of weight forward/back.

Do you still have or have access to a flat kart to verify that this does or doesn't happen with them?

It was happening on the flat kart as well. Just not as easily. I found a Champion 3000 winch at home depot. I haven't had issues out of the champion 2000 winch on the other stand, just the Harbor Freight 2000. Hoping the combination of the better champion winch, and the upgrade to a 3000 will solve the problem.
I can't get your pics to expand at the moment so I am unable to tell the exact model of winches on your lifts or how the cable or belt is routed, however I'd think they are probably 2000# rated winches or as the lingo we use around here... "LT2000" Series of winches. Most all of those style winches are from china, even the "Rah Rah we're an USA based company Winch Manufacturer" are importing them. And a good majority of them all come from the same place, just with different decals and sometimes case colors. We order hundreds upon hundreds of winches a year and through all these years have tried/tested and compared a lot of brands including those you have mentioned.

The winged karts are possibly more nose heavy than your prior flat karts and when lowering the weight is going to cause a fast release. These styles of winches usually don't have a full time (or any) brake system on them so they will tend to do this. While it's rare we get calls or questions on this, I have on occasion from Super Kart, Winged Outlaw and QM customers have been asked on slowing a release as all those types of karts tend to have more forward weight when situated on a lift. Our belt routing method helps as it has more area to cover and more tension, we have an adjustment on the arms of the lift to put more or less weight on the arms when in the raised position and having the option to adjust the rear hooks help as raising or lowering them will adjust the amount of weight forward/back.

Do you still have or have access to a flat kart to verify that this does or doesn't happen with them?

Can always two part or three part the line . Slows the action and adds friction which adds braking .

Different application same principle. Wether cable or nylon strap .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240215-170139.png
    Screenshot_20240215-170139.png
    147.3 KB · Views: 4
I took all but what I needed of the cable off the electric stands I built and it helped with the speed. Also adding a double block slows it down. And i liked it better with the winch lower and a roller at the base of the handle.

Attachments

• IMG_2177.jpeg
    IMG_2177.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2176.jpeg
    IMG_2176.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2179.jpeg
    IMG_2179.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 26
Back