Electric Kart Track, Worth the $?

vincequest

This past weekend I raced at one of the standard types of indoor tracks. The threads I see here are far beyond where I am at, but I had an absolute blast there at the track this weekend. What I am wondering is, spending money to get into the leagues there - is it a good place to start as a driver? I realize this type of facility isn't 'pro level' or anything, but it seems like I was learning quickly just in the few races I did.

Any seat time you can get is a good thing starting out. The leagues are usually more competitive, so you can learn from it. Good luck!

What type of kart racing are you interested in, asphalt sprint or dirt ovals or both? Either way getting laps at a rental track is a great way to learn but here is what you need to do as I did when I first started. Find the fast guy and follow him. You will learn the fast line around the track and how to follow close without bashing his bumper by learning the braking points in the apex of the turns and keeping your speed up. This is where you will learn to coordinate left foot braking and right foot control of the throttle. Do this till you feel you have gain enough experience to enter a competitive race. After you get started keep records of how you setup your kart and all changes you make from track to track as to what works and what doesn`t to keep you fast. And get yourself a TIRESIZER tape measure to measure stagger on your tires (shameless plug LOL). Hope this helps and welcome to kart racing. It is a blast.

Back