Electric Start

chocoolives

Hi guys, Is there a kit that i can buy that's all set up for electric start? I'd love to put it on my predator. Thanks in advance.

This one is cheaper:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GX160-GX200...839990?hash=item27d4bc6136:g:eLsAAOxyY3ZR3e7i

Problem is that the Predator crank/flywheel taper is different than the clone, so neither kit is a bolt on. I have converted several Predators to e-start, but I first swapped to a Honda crank. If you want e-start, you might just want to start with an e-start clone or an e-start Honda because when you are done swapping parts, you're at that price point anyway.

Well, i've already half setup a predator so i don't want to get a different motor. Plus, it's not going on a kart so i'd prefer the predator for now. For example, i've removed the tank, exhaust and air box because it won't fit in the application that i'm using it in. I would however, really like an electric start setup. So aside from that, all i have to do is swap the crank?

If you swap to either a Honda or clone crank, then yes it should be a bolt on. The starter holes and charge coil holes are in the correct location, but the kits don't come with the dowel pins for for the starter. Should be Honda p/n 94301-08100.

The dowel pins are same diameter as the dowels used in the side covers, but they're shorter. You can order the correct ones, shorten side cover dowels, or go without. I get the correct ones from Honda.

And one more thing, the engine shroud is unique for the electric starter motors to clear the starter and the kits dont come with a shroud, but you can simply notch the stock shroud to clear it. It's not as pretty but it works.

Thanks for the help man. I'm building a predator powered Motorized Bicycle. I'll have to post some pictures here once its complete. Hence the reason i wanted electric start, to add to the coolness. After i break it in, i'm gonna get that Stage 3 kit i found so that it can make 14hp. Should be very fun.

I've seen sportsman flyer bikes,They are well made,but i opted for something a bit more cost effective. the initial cost of the Sportsman bikes were out of my price range. And nice. I also wanted to have Fat tires. So to clarify, the predator 212 is a clone of the GX240? Or is the GX200?

You can machine the flywheel you have now to accept the starter ring and then you just put the starter motor on and go. NR sells just the starter rings for a couple bucks, that's where I usually get them.

I've added ring gears to the thicker Raceseng aluminum flywheels, but i am not sure there is enough meat on a stock Predator flywheel to do the same.

Well i was planning on buying a Billet Flywheel since i removed the governor. I'm just going to assume i can machine machine that one too.

The super light ARC wheels don't have enough meat at the edge, also they ride further outboard on the crank, enough that you have to use coil spacers. And with this offset, the flywheel is too far from the flywheel to engage. Thats why I swap cranks to make it work. As it is, even with the thick Raceseng flywheels, I have to shim out the starter with a couple of 8mm washers.

thanks for the information man. I actually have another question, just didn't want to start a secondary thread. As much as i don't want the answer to be yes, (only because i spent 100 bucks on batteries) can i power 2 of these off the predator engine if it has leads for lighting? I need really bright lights on my bike because the roads in Connecticut are abysmal.

What i know about these lights power wise is this :

Model of Battery required: 1 x 8.4V 6400mAh rechargeable Battery Pack (4x 18650 Battery).
Input: AC 100-240V, 50/60Hz.
Output: Voltage DC 8.4V, 1A.
I'm sure i can wire up something to convert power if i needed to, but that's a different discussion. thanks in advance.

The typical charge coils are rated at an amp and are used to charge a battery. We run 12V 4 cell lithium ion batteries in our bikes, but normally we don't run lights, though we have a couple of fresh builds in progress that will get lights. The charge coils do a fine job of keeing our batteries fully charged.

Back