Employer BS

stickySC

I work for a company that make big assemblys. they recently had a meeting and required everyone to sign a contract, that is legal in my state. the contract we signed will charge employees for scrap and rework. as follows
1st scrap $100, 2nd $200, 3rd I forgot, maybe terminated or $300

Rework $50, $100 and so on.

I think last year they scraped 14 parts.

anyone every worked where they did this sort of thing?

My job title is CNC button pusher.

#1. That is a load of crap unless your being paid per piece then it might work out.

#2. If you charge me for the scap unit you better be prepared to give it to me lol.

there is no bonus, ect. I brought a hard gauge to quality a while back, used to check ID's an OD's that was bent. Dial caliper on one side. fixed dial stop edge on the other. I get a crazy look like you really want me to replace this.. responce "these cost $20 dollars"

. id be good with keeping the scrap. they weight about 1300lbs

#1. That is a load of crap unless your being paid per piece then it might work out.

#2. If you charge me for the scap unit you better be prepared to give it to me lol.

I suspect the charge is for the error, not the purchase price of the scrap. Might be the company would be willing to sell the scrap to a worker.

Appears that some of the company's button pushers too often push the wrong buttons.......or push the right buttons in the wrong order.

I worked at Caterpillar, in Aurora Ill.
My good friend Gary, did setup on 100 ton hydraulic ram.....about 10 ft. long.

The ram had cutter holders in it.....several hundred.
Each cutter extended a little bit out from the ones beneath it.
The operation was to take a ring, about 24" diameter, and with one swipe of the ram, create an internal gear.
As the ram went down, the cutters extended further, until when the ram finished it's stroke, the gear was cut and complete.

Well, here's where it gets good. Seems that there was a bit of confusion, my setup friend was either give a wrong print,
or the wrong sized iron ring was supplied for a test run.

Understand that these rings weight probably 200 lbs.
Well.......in any case, the test ring was about 1/4" to small on the inside diameter.

Thus......when the ram cam down, the cutters were extended to far out, for the test piece.
That 100 ton ram didn't even slow down as it rammed it's way fully thru the ring, and snapped
off about $10,000 dollars worth of carbide cutting bits.
The noise of those cutters snapping off, and flying all over the place, is/was unforgettable.

It was, for us workers, the funniest thing we'd ever experienced in most of our working lives.

Our union contract did not permit any disciplinary action against anyone.
Just another good reason for unions.

I work for a company that make big assemblys. they recently had a meeting and required everyone to sign a contract, that is legal in my state. the contract we signed will charge employees for scrap and rework. as follows
1st scrap $100, 2nd $200, 3rd I forgot, maybe terminated or $300

Rework $50, $100 and so on.

I think last year they scraped 14 parts.

anyone every worked where they did this sort of thing?

My job title is CNC button pusher.

That is not sustainable in court. It is called a "voidable" contract clause.
The reasoning is, that companies build in reasonable costs, to cover employee error/mistakes.
Under no circumstance would that clause hold up in court.
In fact, if challenged, it would likely cost the company mucho dinero, for attempting to establish such an obvious hoax.

yeah they are and, you would think. I haven't been fined. but as an example. came in one Monday, engineers ran test part over weekend. had to reset riser blocks. indicated to check for chips under blocks ect, had the right program loaded. made first cut. Tolerance +-.1mm, didn't change any offsets. came up 1.1mm under -0- had a chip under insert. this was first cut of many so its saveable. but still like , what's up..

on another note, bigwigs screwed up process so I got 5hrs in this week,nothing has shipped in the last 3weeks. and off till next week pending straightening out the major screwup to save time on a process. so its possible I may get a bill instead of a check.

we're using 1960 tech, if you change a z offset -.05 it could cut -.1mm , the cuts range .7mm . I stay around the top of the range an generally don't * with it. using calipers instead of micrometers, because.. well, cheaper I guess.

this is South Carolina a right to work state, unions don't fair well here. If my light check was ever fined. they would pay hell enforcing it ,but it is legal. and on the Books.

The part you are making a big pieces. The $100-$300 charge Would to me show they don't think much of there process . This CNC button pusher job should have a check list from #1--too finish just to cover your a-- per program run.

yeah it does, with the wrong revision number. I was asked to run a "test piece" with a "engineer" Monday. I went to break cause, I didn't get a print for it. lead man switched over machine while I was on break. im not doing anything with out a print. ran the part with engineer standing there. they were making a print while part was being turned.

I know how to cover my --s, first thing I did day one policy started was, write a maintainance workorder for riser blocks that have been damaged from turning. leadman looked at me like I was crazy.

The part you are making a big pieces. The $100-$300 charge Would to me show they don't think much of there process . This CNC button pusher job should have a check list from #1--too finish just to cover your a-- per program run.

not just scrap, rework 2. they haven't fined anyone yet. but. think about it. a tap breaks, and you have to retap a hole, that's technicaly rework. insert chatter, poor finish, ect. like what was said above, you always charge a lil more % to make up for anything that can an will happen.

I'm telling you right now.....don't care what's on whose books.....that policy is illegal and cannot and will not be enforced in court.
If your company ships anything over state line, it becomes a federal issue, and there are PLENTY of non-profit's that will take that
to court, and pay you a big settlement.

I agree PD Power, I would fight it.

this is the Section of law that they referenced in their policy, Implimented by Human Resources. they cited SC statute 41-10-40

SECTION 41-10-30. Notification to employees of wages and hours agreed upon; recordkeeping requirements; requirement of itemized statement of gross pay and deductions for each pay period.

(A) Every employer shall notify each employee in writing at the time of hiring of the normal hours and wages agreed upon, the time and place of payment, and the deductions which will be made from the wages, including payments to insurance programs. The employer has the option of giving written notification by posting the terms conspicuously at or near the place of work. Any changes in these terms must be made in writing at least seven calendar days before they become effective. This section does not apply to wage increases.

(B) Every employer shall keep records of names and addresses of all employees and of wages paid each payday and deductions made for three years.

(C) Every employer shall furnish each employee with an itemized statement showing his gross pay and the deductions made from his wages for each pay period.

HISTORY: 1986 Act No. 380, Section 1, eff April 21, 1986; 1990 Act No. 463, Section 2, eff May 7, 1990.

SECTION 41-10-40. Medium of payment; deposit of wages to employee's credit; prohibition against deductions in absence of written notice; time and place of payment.

(A) Every employer in the State shall pay all wages due in lawful United States money or by negotiable warrant or check bearing even date with the payday.

(B) An employer may deposit all wages due to the employee's credit at a financial institution which is doing business in the State and is insured by an agency of the federal government. When an employee's wages are paid by deposit at a financial institution, he must be furnished a statement of earnings and withholdings. Any wage deposit plan adopted by an employer shall entitle each employee to at least one withdrawal for each deposit, free of any service charge.

(C) An employer shall not withhold or divert any portion of an employee's wages unless the employer is required or permitted to do so by state or federal law or the employer has given written notification to the employee of the amount and terms of the deductions as required by subsection (A) of Section 41-10-30.

(D) Every employer in the State shall pay all wages due at the time and place designated as required by subsection (A) of Section 41-10-30.

HISTORY: 1986 Act No. 380, Section 1, eff April 21, 1986.

By all means, be quiet now, about this.
Under no circumstances do you wish to have them witch hunt you, knowing that you oppose the "take out for damages" policy of the company.

Back