Engine issues

Rainman,
Does the engine performance improve when choked? if so carb may be plugged somehow/if you installed a new kit be sure to check pump ( the nylon sheet gasket ) some are 2 piece design and REQUIRE both sheets ( Italy sent me some carbs assembled with only one sheet gasket )
Have you pressure tested the engine?
Is the piston ring free on the piston?
Does the engine have compression?
Does the carb pump fuel when turning over with remote starter?
This sure has everybody guessing will be interesting to resolve.
Mike Berg

Lou Figony once had a similar problem. I was hanging out in his pits and Joey's 135 engine was breaking up down the straight. He started the engine in the pets and I noticed the plug cap was vibrating and turning quite a bit. Turns out the cap was loose on the plug. It's a long shot I know.

"Rattling"!! Severe detonation sounds like something rattling around in the pipe. Have you checked the squish? Are you 100% sure on the octane of the fuel? Have you indicated the timing?

Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Rattling happened before we rebuilt after 1st time problem appeared but it apoeared to come from big end rod bearing. It doesn't do it anymore on a new rod/bearing. Carb was rebuilt after problem appeared but problem stayed after rebuilding engine and carb. Engine was pressure checked. Engine starts fgood wuthout any need to choke and runs perfect till it reaches those rpms. Wouldn't that be a sign that timing is OK since it starts and runs good under those rpms? Both piston and ring are good and squish is the same it had when it was running good. It pumps fuel normally. I am out of town thus week for Soring Break but once back I'll try to change stator during next weekend after I come back (April 26-27). For now it feels good to be back to SC and visit old friends. My big karting garage at my SC house has been turned into a party room with a bunch of TVs by the ones renting my house after moving stuff into the smaller shed. So many hours working on my karts there...

And .... "The Plot Thickens"

As The Thread: "Engine issues" TURNS !

IMHO - Given the info U've stated/tried process of elimination. Depending on which crank u used to stroke it . Check ur crank & ignition timing position 3pm 4pm 5pm 7pm 8pm ??? JMHO

Lastly, Try changing the engine & see if that fixes it :p

I think so. I'll let you know.

Last edited:
Back