Engine issues

Rainman,
Talk to my son Chris the next time you are at racing at Hampton. He is the Tech Man there. He or I can probably help you get your problems resolved. He can listen to your motor and tell you if your issue is carb or ignition related.

Lee Williams

So your saying it was running fine, and then started this problem, and you hadn't disassembled it in between running good and running bad? If that's the case, that should eliminate pulse hole being blocked by a gasket etc. That would leave carb going south, reeds, Stator, rotor,pipe. You have already tried another coil and you have checked the reeds/carb, so that leaves stator and pipe. another pipe, and your down to the stator. Lets us know, you have me curious!

Rainman,
Talk to my son Chris the next time you are at racing at Hampton. He is the Tech Man there. He or I can probably help you get your problems resolved. He can listen to your motor and tell you if your issue is carb or ignition related.

Lee Williams

I will. Actually I had it there last Sunday while racing my Sprint chassis with another 2 cycle. Thanks.

So your saying it was running fine, and then started this problem, and you hadn't disassembled it in between running good and running bad? If that's the case, that should eliminate pulse hole being blocked by a gasket etc. That would leave carb going south, reeds, Stator, rotor,pipe. You have already tried another coil and you have checked the reeds/carb, so that leaves stator and pipe. another pipe, and your down to the stator. Lets us know, you have me curious!

Problem started after rebuilding top end and carb last season. fresh clutch from Birky too. Broke it in and 1st race day it would never hit over those rpms. Then added to those rpm issue I could hear some rattling sound, so put it apart again and specially rebuilt low end since we found low bearing on rod wasn´t very good and had too much play. We changed bearing, new rod, new crank seals and bearings, checked top end just incase and carb, reeds and so on. Once at the track after running it at lower rpms on the stand to allow oil on new seals/bearings same problem as before. Curious story. Just haven´t got much time after teaching and coaching soccer, but I am trying to change pipe today after soccer practice and see what happens. Sounds good and works good under those rpms, Starts good, no bad signs before those rpms.

So it just revs up to 10500 then what happens, does it surge (lean), does it sputter(rich) is it breaking up (ignition) what does it sound like? Low needle seat broke out of the carb?

I had the same issue on my Yamaha one time. My issue was I put the piston in backwards so ring gap was towards exhaust. Would not get over 10800 RPMs. New piston and bored out cylinder worked great.

Crank is straight and set within right specs. Thanks, Jim. Piston arrow is in right position, Frankie. I´ll try today with spare pipe and then take carb apart once more. After that just ignition left. I am so lost now that I can´t tell you anymore what it does, lol. Thanks sundog.

I still think you have a carb, manifold, reed gasket turned around and blocking a pulse hole, but I'm also the guy who has chased a no start problem for an hour at the track before a buddy came by and turned my gas on. :)

Well I believe it's in the pipe. No 2 stroke will rev all the way up with a blocked exhaust. So with that being said I sure hope changing the pipe works. It happens more than most will admit with a rag or wad of paper towels being forgotten after a rebuild in the header. Seen it happen at the track a few times. It will make you want to beat your head against a wall. With more smoke coming out at the flex than the pipe holes that is the way I'm leaning. May not even be a rag could just be castor build up. Let us know how it works out and what you find. Best of luck.

Frankie

Changed pipe and still same issue, so it is not pipe or header. Removed carb and checked pulse, and it was good and aligned, no leaks around and reeds seem to be in perfect shape (new). I really thing it is gonna be the stator. I´ll go through carb again just in case and might try another one but seems to be the stator. No racing dirt this weekend, no time now, and next week I will go down to SC so it will take sometime before changing it. Racing my old 100cc PCR on asphalt this Su nday. Thanks everyone.

I've had a clutch lock up too soon and the pipe not be able to carry the engine before.......but that is a LONG shot. Stators usually work or don't.
Mike

check timing,if good there,remove entire ignition,place ignition assy on ignition machine,run for awhile&watch for variations,ignition must be load tested for breakdown of spark,sounds more like timing is way retarded,keep us posted

Back