Evinrude 140 outboard

na2slow2

Way off topic, but my search on the net is going dry. I just replaced the water pump put it all together and started it up and the buzzer goes off after about 5 min. I have water coming out of the foots six little holes on both sides, the front, and the exhaust. Nothing is coming out of the two holes in the back at the top. I took the rubber hoses off of the head and water was pumping out of them on the back of the engine. Its a 78 evinrude 140 2 stroke that has not been used in atleast 10 years. Thanks Kevin

OK, why I asked is if it had some broken fingers I've seen them get lodged in the water jacket on the head and create a overheating problem.

So you had a overheating problem before you changed the impeller? I've seen people install a new impeller and not get the keyway in place.

I used to be a certified evinrude mechanic back in 1978 but to be honest I have not work on them since about 1980.

I think the next place I'd look is at the thermostat.

Take a look at this thread-
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...3988-79-johnson-140-v4-thermostat-replacement

If you had a infrared temp gauge I'd try reading the head temp on each head to see if they are the same.

mine the water won't come out the 2 big holes in back much till its in the water and at speed.
The buzzer is off for 5 min then starts. how about turning key to on: wait 5 min and see if it buzz's.
Maybe take the temp senser out and check flow there.
is this on muffs?

Yes its on the mufs. Gotta fix the steering before I can put it in the water. Where is the thermostat located? I will check the head temps on both sides friday. It had mud dobbers in the past thats why my dad decided to tear it apart to make sure the pump was good it being so old. Thanks for the help I will let yall know what I find.

thermostats are in the housing the 2 hoses come out of on the lower rear of engine.
temp switch opens at 168-182 and closes at205-217 check with ohm meter.
did you twist/ clock the impeller in, the shaft needs to turn clock with the pump blades trailing.

Fresh in the summer, salt in the winter. Its always been flushed out after going into salt. I put the impeller in how it came out and the tubes are also lined up it wouldn't go on any other way, it was kinda a pain to get lined up. I will pull that housing off and look at the thermostats and the temp switch this afternoon. Thanks Kevin

Yikes. If you already drilled the hole you may want to look at taking the camel hump off. that's where the exhaust flows it gets carboned up in there. also do not increase the timming to obtain a better idle . I found this to be detrimental to piston life.

It idles and revs good, just the heating up issue. Looks like about 30 bucks and I can get new ones, what exactly is the camel hump. I have heard of people running without the thermostats in them, do they just run a little rough, seems like it would never warm up givin a constant cold water supply.

right where you took the thermostats out should be a plate 10 by 14 with a hump, some have a flat plate depending upon the real hp. the issue is if any carbon breaks off could get in engine and or blockage. themostats may regulate the water flow may or may not work. I'm no tech just a boat owner 2 engines with burn't pistons and one good one on the boat.
I'd put em in.
so far haven't been able to figure out how to walk on water:)

yeah, walking on water is tough. im gonna put the kit in it with the new stats, springs and seals. i will pull the hump off to check it out in there also. the boat needs alot of work just getting the mechanical side sound first. Thanks kevin

be sure your gear case has gear lube as well. most boat shops wont touch one over 10 years old gotta find a independent.

be sure your gear case has gear lube as well. most boat shops wont touch one over 10 years old gotta find a independent.

Just to add, there are two drain plugs on the lower unit, take the bottom one out first, if there is water inside the lower unit it will run out clear first before the oil comes out.

If you see water come out you should replace the two seals, one on the drive shaft, one of the propeller shaft.

What happens a lot is you run over a fishing line and it gets in behind the prop, and works it's way into the prop shaft seal and chews it up.

If no water comes out, drain the lower unit, refill with fresh gear lube through the bottom hole until it runs out the top hole, put the top drain plug in first while
you still have the gear lube tube held against the bottom hole, this creates a vacuum and then you can put the bottom plug in without losing
a bunch of gear lube.

Well got home yesterday and my kit arrived while I was out at work over the last 20 days. Got the new stats springs everything behind the hump cleaned up and new gaskets. Fought with the springs there kinda tough to get in but the rest was smooth sailing. Cranked the motor up and no surprise the alarm started going off, so I checked the temps on the head to see how hot it was and right next to the plug on all four heads was 205 degrees. It idled for about 5min before going off not sure how hot it is supposed to be before the sensor sends the signal. Have plenty of water coming out of the exhaust and the other holes, none out of the two up top. Thanks, trying to get it running before I leave got 8 more days minus a race, and prep time.

The one that came out looked brand new.

I'm not an Evinrude mechanic but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn once.

You said the impeller looked new. And an experienced Evinrude mechanic said his experience is the broken fingers can lodge in the water jacket. Maybe who ever put the brand new impeller in, didn't get the broken fingers off the old one out.

I ran it today with heat gun in hand to see how hot it was while running the right bank was around 150 and the left bank was 205 with the alarm going, watched some youtube videos and I have more water coming out of the exhaust then all the ones I saw when I rev it up like they all are doing water is coming out of my top two holes also. The water out the top was around 110 and the exhaust was 90. How do I hook a water pressure gauge to it to test the pump, and is there a way to tell if one head is clogged up. I don't wanna pull the foot off if I don't have to. Thanks Kevin

Back