Fat rookie with an axle question

Battlewagon

Just getting into kart racing. I have an 06 Tempest. I am running a bone stock sealed Predator class. 400lbs weight. I am at 397lbs. Since I need to add a touch of weight I was thinking that a thicker 1/4" wall axle might help with the weight and resist flex better with my fat behind on the kart. Would a thicker axle be a help or should I just throw 5lbs of lead on the seat?

your axle with drastically change the way the kart handles. there is more to the weight of the kart then just being heavy enough to not get dq'd going across the scales. You need to put the kart on a set of scales to get the proper weight distribution and I can promise you being a bigger guy myself that in order to get that thing to turn you are going to have to add 10-15# in the nose of the kart. Remember a light kart with the wrong setup will always get beat by one that's 10-15# heavier and has the %'s right. I have ran across the scales 395 in a class that the min was350 and I would win by over 1/2-3/4 of a track on a big 1/5 mile asphalt track because I raced against guys that just wanted to make that 350 and not actually "set the kart up" like I did

I have had the kart scaled and got the weights right. The track scale claimed 5lbs less than the setup scales. I am doing some change to the front end and am gonna have to scale sides and cross again. I was wondering if a more rigid rear axle would not flex as much and maybe help. Very limited in what can be done in this class. Cannot touch motor, tires are EL's and the gear is fixed at 16-56. Just looking for ways to improve the kart. Although track time is what I really need right now.

I wouldn't change axle as an axle does have a certain spring rate. Personally I wouldn't want to turn anymore weight than I have to. I believe the static weight vs turning weight is 3:1. Maybe more based on a fractional hp motor. Think I wrote that right...Meaning for every ounce you lose turning it its like losing 3 carrying it. I'd get things light as possible with in reason if I'm having to turn it. Just add the weight...

Just eat a box of donuts before going to the track, that ought to give ya the extra 5lbs and no need to rescale or add lead ;)

Not a donut kind of guy. Now a 5lb ribeye might be an option. Course I would prolly take a nap in the back of the trailer after eating. I will stick to the lead.

Back