Filing +.005 rings to fit stock bore

bomber315

So I'm in the process of freshing one of my motors (after 5 weekends) and building another new one.

I ran into snag. In my box of stuff, I have what apparently is a file to fit top ring. But all of the 2nd rings I have to choose from are showing .015 gap without touching them. I would like to see something more like .009.

Both of the bores measure nealy identical. (Down to the .0005)

I remember filing every ring to fit last year, including the bottom rings.

The question is... Can/ should I get +.005 low tension rings and file them to fit my standard bore?

Thanks

flattop1

Dawg 89
Only one way to get too .009 .
I remember the file fits being top ring only . Maybe thats changed .

bomber315

Only one way to get too .009 .
I remember the file fits being top ring only . Maybe thats changed .
Well the top ring is the only one I see advertised as "file to fit" but I would like to have my 2nd ring tighter than .015 so I want to use .+.005 as "file to fit". Is that what everyone does?

flattop1

Dawg 89
I would say so . you can use .010 over as well .
The thing there is drag from spring tension .
Honestly i doubt there is a power increase in that .004 ring gap .
Are you lapping the ring land ?

Last edited:

OVALTECH1

Premium User
I always just buy .010 overs and file em.

boomer216

I understand not by akra or anything I'm just saying in general if it isn't in the rules. It won't hurt anything to not run one? Is it beneficial at all?

bomber315

I would think the engine would smoke like a chimney. Maybe even to the point of running low on oil at the end of the race.

boomer216

Wouldn't it work the same way as the 2 ring wiseco pistons? Some of those are only 2 rings and they don't smoke? Just curious as I have never heard of anyone not running the second ring on a 3 ring designed piston. Might be something I may have to try and see.

flattop1

Dawg 89
Most people running a three ring pston are bound by rule .
The newer wiseco 3 rings must be designed with durability in mind .
Trade off , of friction vs leak down .

Curflo

Alot of two ring pistons use wider expander rings with much larger oil drain back holes . So my guess would be a 3 ring piston only using 2 rings would smoke really bad because of the oil being trapped and not draining back