flame shoes

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
I have a standard fury clutch.. have not always maintenance it like I should (usually once every 3 outings)
so my question is.. should I flip the shoes every time I clean it up.. When I got it I marked the shoes with a punch so all the parts would go in the same way, same location every time.. will flipping the shoes make it last longer and bite better??

I would not flip the shoes like that, they wear to the drum and flipping them could cause an uneven mating surface between the 2 when the clutch locks up, which is the last thing you want. If you want it to bite better, take a thin cutoff wheel, and cut diagonal or horizonal grooves across the surface of the shoes, say 4 or 5 grooves on each shoe, that will help keep your clutch operating cleaner and more efficiently also, and when you go to clean it, you can literally see the black crud in the grooves, which is basically from the grooves keeping the drum cleaner on the mating surface which helps keep the clutch locking up better for longer in my opinion. We do this on every Fury clutch we have, and every Flame clutch as well. Its an old trick i learned from an old school engine builder who has been using these clutches since they first came out, and it works very well. When i say cut grooves, im talking about 1/8" or so wide and about the same 1/8" deep cut from front to back of the shoes, not lengthways, if that makes sense, they will help the clutch bite better also...think of the way grooves are on a treaded tire, with the sidewalls being the front and back of the clutch...the grooved/treaded tires allow the tire to grip the track alot better than a slick tire does, the same theory applies here with the clutches. Just be sure that after you cut the grooves in the shoes that you debur the edges of the cuts.

think of the way grooves are on a treaded tire, with the sidewalls being the front and back of the clutch...the grooved/treaded tires allow the tire to grip the track alot better than a slick tire does, the same theory applies here with the clutches. Just be sure that after you cut the grooves in the shoes that you debur the edges of the cuts.
That explains why dragsters all use treaded tires, oh wait, they don't. It also explains why F1 cars use slicks in the rain, oh wait, they don't, they use treaded tires.

Grooves in the shoes make for better bite?? So you're saying that if your clutch is holding your engine right at peak torque, where it should be, if you put grooves in the shoes, and they bite better, than the clutch will be holding the engine at less than peak torque? Is this something you want?

Al, the grooves in the shoes are more for keeping the inside of the dry and the top of the shoes clean, for longer. If you ever used one of these clutches you would see that they are always black when you pull them off after a couple races, not usually, always, and must be cleaned off, usually with sandpaper. The grooves help keep them cleaner under working conditions. The grooves also help with grip, yes. I didn't say anything about why certain cars use slicks or tread tires, why you brought that up I have no idea, we are talking about clutches here not tires

OH,.. I have a fury clutch with no ability to add weights...
I will give the grove thing a try.. is it safe to say this is not a 206 violation?? before i go cutting on any thing...
What do you think about this..

take the drum and put it in a lathe and true up the drum... then take the inner circumference measurement and then take the 4 shoes and shim them out to the slightly farther then the drum size and cut them on the lathe so they all meet the evenly on the drum... then weight each one using a small drill take material out of each one till they are all the same weight.. seems like a lot of work, but i thing I you could get each shoe to mate up equally, you would get better performance..

I don't know about cutting and shimming shoes out, I've never done any of that. But no none of this will get you dq in 206 racing, the clutch is not teched, it just has to be shoe clutch

Back