flathead carb whats up with that

bigdave55

I have 2 flatheads we race the one I need to blow in tank to start it BUT the other one I don't have to blow in the tank starts right up WHAT UP WITH THAT

In the one you have to blow. In order of possibility: Your pump diaphragm needs replacing. The surface it seals against needs to be lapped. The pickup tube has a split or is loose. The ignition timing is more advanced.

..weird, I have not worked a Flathead in ten years and recall this, have you seen my car keys?

All most everyone with flatheads at the track have to blow in there tanks to start i though i had a carb that just better then the other a put new diaphragm in both all the time clean every week

Maybe you're just lucky....

I NEVER blow into a tank to start a flathead engine -- then again, we use an electric starter.
I replace diaphragms at each rebuild - not any more often.

You lose the prime on the flatheads because sealing is less than desirable (especially with alcohol) which is why you see some guys blowing into the tank...this forces fuel past the diaphragm and into the carb bore to "prime" the engine before you attempt to start it.

Back