flathead issues

carter170

my son runs purple and had an oil seal leak and took the crank out instead of pulling the flywheel of and replaced the seal and torqued the rod bolts to 70 inch pound and now its hard to start and kinda looses power comapared to before and when it gets to over heate it stalled out on us and wouldn't start back up and caused us a dnf need some info thanks

You took the crank out HOW "instead of pulling the flywheel?" You have to pull the flywheel to get the crank out. I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

If the clutch side oil seal was bad in the sidecover, that's easily repaired/replaced without removing the crank. I've even replaced them without removing the sidecover. Now, if you meant to say that you did remove the flywheel, you could have changed the ignition timing or lack of proper torque (70 foot pounds) on the flywheel has allowed the timing to slip. That would sure cause the problems you are describing in the dnf.

Also, you say you torqued the rod bolts to 70 inch pounds. That won't last long. If it's a billet rod with oil on the bolt threads, you want to be around 170 inch pounds!

Not really sure what your issues might be without understanding a few things first. Technology is great, but it sure lacks clarity at times.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Ahhh, now I see that you made some corrections to your first post whilst I was typing. :)

35* is a TON of timing for a flathead (even a purple plater.)

Back that down to 30 and start there. Make sure the coil air gap is set correctly, and make sure you didn't simply close the gap on the spark plug.

ok thanks it looks like I have to take everything apart now and make a few corrections tanks for the advice im new to karting and don't understand much.

I fixed theese issues and it works great now and it quit making little noices when it ran and he got a decent win this week by a hlaf a straight thanks guys for all the help.

Im probably going to move him to blue because i told him if he could win a race i would move him up and certainly he won so cant wait for next week!!!!!

Back