Flathead Open Engine Questions

rpppaprp

I am using an ARC billet flywheel, ARC #6589 billet crank, ARC #6364 rod, .050 flat top Burris piston, billet extended 1.7 lifters, Dyno Cams dual valve springs, and Dyno Cams #116 cam.
What is the largest valve I can use in a flathead engine without having any major mechanical issues? I don't mind having machine work done. Also, I am having the head milled flat. Do I need to have the valves recessed?
Does this sound like a good combination or is there something I should change?

I like the ARC 6026 Billet head and the Stainless Big valves and seat kit they sell . The head is ready to bolt on and cost about $100.00 and the big valve and big seat kit around $50.00 or so. Lots of different size Big valve and seat size combo's . I would look into a different piston for this application " a Wiseco" or JE , Also what Rod do you plan to use on that crank cause that's a .450 stroker crank?

I would not mill head down. You will need to cut valve relief in head or valve will hit.
I think if you really want a big valve it was either a 1.94 or a 2.02 and stock exhaust. thats as big as you can go.

I can tell you that if it's a true open class, it really doesn't matter how much work is done to your flathead, you won't be able to hang with a clone or an animal. I tried running one and it wasn't even close. But it sounds like that will be a good running flathead, mine ran good with similar specs until the piston shattered, that's definitely the weakest part of the build, go with something stronger than cast for sure. Good luck.

Back