Flathead question

tre21

what would i need to build a junior sportsman blue plate (.500) flathead

Could i get a regular old 5hp flathead and go from there?

Don't want to go hog wild and buy a bunch of stuff if my daughter doesn't seem interested.

Find a decent used engine from a reputable seller/builder on here.
By the time you spent the money to build up an engine yourself (and likely still not be competitive), you could have bought a decent used engine and have money left over to buy tires.

I typically sell fresh used flatheads for $500 - $850. I have a blue plate engine here in the shop now for $650 that's pretty good.
If you find something on here for $2-300, you can have it freshened for another $3-400 and be very competitive at the local level.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com

Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry

765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

ty for the response

i havent decided on a clone or flathead yet

found a guy selling for 100.00 not sure whats done to it and a OEM 5hp briggs for 25.00

Don't waste your money on the oem engine...too much that you can't use and machine-work / labor is costly to BP an engine.

If the used flathead is a legitimate WKA race engine for $100, that's a steal. It should already be align bored, steel sleeve, the lifter bores welded, billet lifters, ground cam, springs set, seat and guide work done, billet rod, all the blueprinting done, etc. Even if it needs freshened, that's still your best route to go.

Thanks for the help!
Im using you as a excuse to buy all that he has if the are the real mccoy, the better half will love a garage full of more stuff,lol

what would i need to build a junior sportsman blue plate (.500) flathead

Could i get a regular old 5hp flathead and go from there?

Don't want to go hog wild and buy a bunch of stuff if my daughter doesn't seem interested.

I see your from the Harrisburg area If your daughter wants to get started before you make any investment contact me, we have a program where we offer race ready karts for you to try before you buy, would be more than happy to help ya out, our track is only 40 min north of Harrisburg.

Ken 717-712-3437

Make sure you do your monetary $$$$ research on any flathead before you purchase. A good running flathead done correctly cost good money. Beware of those cheap engines. The previous advice of buying from a reputable builder is good advice when it comes to purchasing an engine.

thanks ken
I actually have a kart that was given to me
SSP outback is 5 min from my house, I figured run their practices on wed. nights till she decides.
If not i'll jump in this sucker,lol or sell it
I saw this "deal" and was wondering ins or outs
Are you @ penns creek?

thanks ken
I actually have a kart that was given to me
SSP outback is 5 min from my house, I figured run their practices on wed. nights till she decides.
If not i'll jump in this sucker,lol or sell it
I saw this "deal" and was wondering ins or outs
Are you @ penns creek?

No I'm Greenwood raceway, Lil g , But Pennscreek offers a great program as well, I also have plenty of Flathead motors or clone for that matter I would offer you to get started NO matter where you run it, you've gotten good advise above from Brian and Don feel free to contact me anytime I can hook ya up with some local Reputable builders.

Good Luck !!

You learn something new everyday, lol. Never new there was a track in thompsontown.
I definitely will contact/pm you with any questions I have.
I want to see whats at the hbg swap meet for odds and ends that I need to finish it up and go from there.
I couldn't have got a better deal on the kart, unless somebody paid me!
Guess it's time for me to put my toe in the water as a owner instead of the driver.
Must say this forum/people on it is super helpful of steering you in the right direction without the bs
Thanks again

-in this area I would not spend the money on a flathead for your daughter while in blue plate class the flathead would be competitive with the animal engine once you move out of that class the flathead is pretty much useless .I'd look into a clone or an animal in this area to race. If you like Friday night racing Ken at Greenwood has a good starter class that your daughter could get into with a clone. If you are going to Hunterstown on Saturday the Animal is the most dominate.Pennscreek on Saturday it is the clone. If your going to buy the Flathead ask if you can have it checked out or take someone along who knows what there looking at .The buy from a reputable builder is crap I have 3 blueplate flatheads stilling on my shelf 1 from a big name builder, 1 from a local builder ,and 1 I built myself that doesn't have the carb bored or block decked and ALL 3 are real close on the dyno ,one would not out preform the other on a good working chassie

Back