Flipping trailers for a profit

I’m trying to find some things to do on the side for a little extra cash. For a while I was buying and selling dirt bikes and four wheelers and fixing them up. Once it got cold out I kinda stopped messing with them but I’m looking to start doing that again. I am now just buying and selling wheels and stuff and just switching out wheels on my truck all the time it seems😂. I figure since I have a 2500 and have the good gooseneck hitch and stuff I might as well make some money with it other than just using it to haul personal stuff. I’m looking at buying and selling trailers but want to know what I may be getting myself into. On marketplace I see trailers listed like crazy and it seems half have titles and half don’t. I’m looking at doing gooseneck and bumper pull trailers and really any length from 12-40ish feet. I’m wanting to see what is the most sought after length or what seems to sell the best. With doing trailers there are lots of expenses, time, tools, fuel, parts, and stuff like that. Do people look for titles when buying trailers as I don’t know if you can register them without? Anyone ever done anything like this? Looking for a side project to do. Thanks in advance and feel free to pm also.

I would want a title.
Some states just use the registration.
Think you would need a lot of inventory and its like buying used cars , just no drive train to deal with

Trailers being sold without titles in Missouri are almost always people who bought them from a surrounding state that has registration exemptions if it's for personal use and below a certain trailer+payload weight threshold or for farm use.

Missouri requires you to have a title for every trailer regardless of size or weight as you have to register against your personal property tax. Booooo.

Missourians can purchase trailers from registration exempt states without a title using an out of state bill of sale and MO will issue you a title during registration so that you can then sell it to another fellow Missourian.

Trailers being sold without titles in Missouri are almost always people who bought them from a surrounding state that has registration exemptions if it's for personal use and below a certain trailer+payload weight threshold or for farm use.

Missouri requires you to have a title for every trailer regardless of size or weight as you have to register against your personal property tax. Booooo.

Missourians can purchase trailers from registration exempt states without a title using an out of state bill of sale and MO will issue you a title during registration so that you can then sell it to another fellow Missourian.
My Wife is a Notary here in Pa for 31 yrs now , and in everything has to be by the book she's just discovering states like this and it can be very time consuming .

My Wife is a Notary here in Pa for 31 yrs now , and in everything has to be by the book she's just discovering states like this and it can be very time consuming .
It used to be a nightmare for this situation in Missouri and they honestly didn't know what they were doing or how to handle them. If you bought a trailer without a title and only a bill of sale back then, they would require you to take it to the highway patrol for inspection, then make you pay the tax from when it was new. So if it were listed as a 2010 trailer on the bill of sale that you bought yesterday, they'd charge you 14 years of tax when trying to register.

Only in the last 10 years have they dropped that nonsense and finally have a way to handle them where the outcomes favor both the owner and the state and not trying to penalize you for doing the right thing.

We are lucky here in Kentucky as we don't have to register trailers unless it is being used commercially (business).

That could be your hustle if you can figure out the getting titles for trailers that dont have them. Illinois wants a title and a tax for everything you could think of so I will pass on a trailer that doesnt have a title simply because I dont want to do the leg work to get one.

Back