Florida AllStars race #1 in the books.

Taft Racing

A day like Saturday is what living in Florida is all about. The sun was out the sky was clear the temp was mid 70's. We had a real good showing for the AllStars, with 10 karts to make up a great field for a track the size of Fruitland.
A big thanks to the team Barker, as father and son with the help of the Chuck Black these guys made for one of the best track conditions I've ever seen at Fruitland.The track was smooth fast wide.
Another huge thanks to TS racing for providing support parts and fuel. These guys are always a class act.
Just as every one was settling in to getting their equipment ready for the first round of hot laps, We had a surprise visit from the founder of the Florida AllStars Terry (HotDog ) Hall. Looking a little like in need of a hair cut. Terry always makes impact on the days event.

After a couple rounds of practice we took to the track for a single heat race. The day was running along as the new track crew were getting a handle on running the days event. So myself wanting to get the race in before dark I added some laps to the heat race running it to 15 laps and cut off the second round.

With entry's from veteran Wayne Howe, returning Wayne Alderman, show favorites Troy Robinson, Ron Anderson, Ron Dalancy, a very fast Heath Dorn, Mike Black on a Animal, Track promoter Hoppy, and our very own Daytona Champion Mike Nicosia and young gun Brad Nicosia our Outlaw points leader. We tacked on the Yamaha class at the tail of the field.

At the drop of the flag it wouldn't take long for Mike Nicosia to find the front and start setting sail, It was fun to watch Troy Robinson come from the back on his CR 250, Troy was of on tires for the day but made a amazing run, taking his time and picking off one kart after another, running all the way to the front. a couple cautions and Troy was looking to take it to Nicosia. In 3rd and 4th the 2 Waynes were battling all day, Wayne Alderman showing very little rust but like Wayne Howe the track looked to have more bite than it did. both searched for grip. Mike Nicosia always seems to find grip he was just to strong and has his equipment dialed in.

The heat race ended with
Mike Nicosia
Troy Robinson
Wayne Alderman
Wayne Howe
Heath Dorn
Mike Black
Hoppy
Ron Anderson
Ron Delancy

After watching the stock classes and giving the guys time to prep tires and make changes we lined up for the feature, The sun was starting to drop low in the sky and I was glad this show was going to make it in the day light.
Coming off turn 2 ready to take the green it looked like Troy was going to be right there to test Nicosia for the win.
The big 250 was loud and nasty Mikes' little 125 was as always well up to the challenge, at the drop of the flag Troy lite the tires up the kart jumped side ways and took Wayne Howe and himself clear to the back, All that racing he did to get up front right out the window, Now Troy and Wayne had to start all over and make a another charge.
That's exactly what they did. Lap after lap kart by kart they picked their way back to the front. Troy came back up to Heath Dorn thinking he'd make a quick pass only to find Heath On the gas, Heath wasn't loosing ground to Mike at all sitting in second Heath just kept making fast lap after fast lap. Finally Troy got his run and passed Heath.
Another brief caution, This allowed Troy a second chance at Mike, The others gathered up and the race was back on. Mike just had every one covered and Troy could not find the traction to gain on mike.
The big surprise of the day was this kid, he was a first time showing entering in the OutLaw championship and we put him right in with the AllStars. he started dead last on a KT 100 and drove his way all the way up to challenge Heath Dorn for 3rd running spot. Mike Nicosia had better watch out. His own son is a missile. Brad's only down fall was his patience. under powered and in a hurry he got into Heath's rear and upset his own kart. Howe, Alderman and Anderson had no where to go and finished him off sending him around.
On the restart it was back to business. Mike again just inched his way keeping Troy off his back bumper. Wayne Howe had clawed his way to 3rd, Alderman never did find the rear grip and spun dashing any chance he had.
The laps ran down and Nicosia crossed into the winners circle yet again. He's clearly the man to beat here in Florida.

The finishing order is,

Mike Nicosia
Troy Robinson
Wayne Howe
Heath Dorn
Ron Anderson
Wayne Alderman
Mike Black
Ron Dalancy
Hoppy DNS

And our new points leader Brad Nicosia for the OutLaws

Troy not contending for the points Championship did not scale so all the regulars bump up a spot. Wayne Howe credited for 2nd and on down.
A great group of guys and i'm very proud of them and the show they put on for the crowd, that by the way were crambed up to the fence to watch.
Huge thanks to Hoppy, He and his crew did a fantastic job. Hoppy stood tall all day. Thanks can't wait to be back for the March 28th-29th Marty Ruser Memorial event. Come join the fun. Hope you enjoyed the ride.

I'll post some pics tonight. This site only allows a couple at a time. Nothing like the old bobs. Spent a long time on the write up then had to delete 80% of it. The condensed version is above. Sorry guys.

Terry (HotDog) Hall, This man has done more to inspire, create., and influence the current UAS and it's over whelming popularity. Terry has written chapter after chapter. It's an honor to know him and have him as a friend. Settling back and enjoying life as a Fire arms and martial arts trainer Terry took the time to ride out and enjoy our first race of the year.

Here's a classic HotDog Terry Hall and luckyDog Jack Buroughs always good for some old time race day conversation.

These 2 guys never to beat around the bush, want a honest opinion you'll get one, like it or not LOL.

These guys always come off track with a smile no matter the results great bunch to race with.

Father and son. won't be long and Dad will be 2nd fiddle.

Nice pics Tim...of course you know I only came over to see Barbara....it was a fun day, great weather for riding and racing not to mention getting to visit with some very very dear old friends..Thank You sir from the bottom of my heart for the invite...We shall see you guys in March..God willing...BTW, doing a fantastic job my friend...Proud of ya..come a long ways.

One correction with regards to the points standings, Troy Robinson did in fact cross the scales and will be credited with 2nd. The finishing order and points will stand as posted.

..Proud of ya..come a long ways as stated by Hotdog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,a long ways from that first meeting somewhere in PA I believe it was?? Then giving up my room to the "clan" that accompanied Tim to the very first UAS "National" event in SC. Lots of great times had by all, not to mention the memories. How about the stump in Tim's yard that we decimated with about 500 rounds from our handguns???

First time I met you terry and Eddie was at the hotel in SC. When Ben and I came down to race at Loris. You myself and One Eye did the PA event and One Eye stayed at the sheriden . Pinky's out. LoL. Yes it has been a long journey . those times are what drive me still to this day. Couldn't ask for a better band of brothers.

Oh and that stump was unarmed it died of lead poisoning. No stump removal required just kicked it and it broke off from all the bullet holes.

500rds what were ya conserving ammo? That's a light day at the range. Haha. I remember it like it was yesterday 30-40 opens on the same track. Sight to be seen and even better to be a part of!

Man that does bring back memories!! Don't think there is any video's back then that was before cameras. We had a race an a party broke out!! Wouldn't trade those old memories for anything!! Tim you have put together some good racing for Florida in 2014 We can fill the file with some new Memories!!! . Thanks for carrying the torche to keep the FAS alive!!!! I know Hotdog and Myself are glad to see it still burning it's not an easy task sometimes.. BTW Anybody remember who won the race in Loris???

Some guy I met as "fast Eddie" and I thought who the F does this guy think he is? Lmao. Mid day run to KFC mmmm. I also remember going to get a Coke and seeing "sweet tea" offered..... What in the Sam hell is "Sweat Tea" I thought. Friggen NYers.

I remember and I still don't know how you did it, with all them clutch burning cautions. I was lucky to get the strawberry from the bottom of the gallon jug.

Last edited:
Back