Flywheel Install

Shameless,
Get some expert help. There is no chance whatever, at this point, that you are going to have a successful outcome with what you are attempting to do.

I'm on this forum to seek help. its should be a rather simple process. Ill re try torqueing tonight. I'm not gonna go and hire someone to torque a flywheel on a small engine. If it breaks, then I throw the project in the garbage and give up. Simple!

Shameless,
Get some expert help. There is no chance whatever, at this point, that you are going to have a successful outcome with what you are attempting to do.

Give the kid some slack man...first engine build, I'm sure the last thing he wants to hear is that he'll fail.

I'm on this forum to seek help. its should be a rather simple process. Ill re try torqueing tonight. I'm not gonna go and hire someone to torque a flywheel on a small engine. If it breaks, then I throw the project in the garbage and give up. Simple!

Keep asking questions...if it breaks don't give up. Seriously, building a good motor is nothing but trial and error anyways. Most, if not all, motor builders have had engines blow up...that's part of it.
Not saying yours will blow lol...just keep on the right track, do research and take your time learning it. There's nothing better than a first build coming to life. The only way to do that is study, read forums, ask questions and don't ever think you can't do this.

Thanks Mac will do, I appreciate the positivity. I tried re torquing and yeah I think this torque wrench is screwed, I had it set to 55 lbs and it just clicks with very little effort.... It's brand new too.... Guess I'll have to buy another one.

Thanks Mac will do, I appreciate the positivity. I tried re torquing and yeah I think this torque wrench is screwed, I had it set to 55 lbs and it just clicks with very little effort.... It's brand new too.... Guess I'll have to buy another one.

Before you toss it...and I'm saying this only because you said this is your first time using a torque wrench...you should take a picture of where you have it set (the numbers) and send it...might tell us if that is incorrect

The electric rattle guns that people use for construction to drive screws in work great for torqueing down the flywhell. ust buy the adapter at home depot and put a socket on and tighten it up and you can hold it with your hand. Make sure you have a puller when removing.

Impact wrenches are not the way to go. A Dewalt cordless 1/4" driver provides 120ft/lbs of force. In the case of fasteners head, flywheel rods etc. more is not better. Do it right or pay someone to do it for you. I know that is harsh but the instructions for correct installation have been provided.

So I actually went out and bought a new torque wrench, put a block under the flywheel and torqued it down to 55-60 give or take a few lbs. anyways I found out torquing to 55 pounds is definitely not a 1 hand Job. (Joke not intended... Or was it.....) anyways I got it all torqued and set my magneto distance to .030 and it seems to be running great! I'm scared to test top speed with the stock rod in their so I may hold off on that. But thanks every one for helping and commenting, it is much appreciated!

If you are on a yard kart, with a TQ converter, and Gov. and flywheel are your only mod. Your rod is fine, use plenty of oil you are not racing.

It's on a mini bike, no governor, flywheel and spark plugs are the only mods. Iv been doing top speed tests, I'm getting about 33mph but that's not 100% all out that's only 95% all out. I'm a little weary of the rod so I let off a couple seconds before hitting top rpms. It would probably only get 34-35 for top speed. But yeah I'm doing the rod next. Its been running good, I do notice the idle is only slightly rougher then before but it hasn't died during idle or anything, once it's warmed up after a few seconds it's fine. I have a question though, flywheels don't increase top speed at all correct? They just weigh less and help with timing

It's on a mini bike, no governor, flywheel and spark plugs are the only mods. Iv been doing top speed tests, I'm getting about 33mph but that's not 100% all out that's only 95% all out. I'm a little weary of the rod so I let off a couple seconds before hitting top rpms. It would probably only get 34-35 for top speed. But yeah I'm doing the rod next. Its been running good, I do notice the idle is only slightly rougher then before but it hasn't died during idle or anything, once it's warmed up after a few seconds it's fine. I have a question though, flywheels don't increase top speed at all correct? They just weigh less and help with timing

Not sure what you're turning (rpm's) with the governor removed but seriously don't risk it and get the rod changed out before something bad happens.
As far as running issues....remember you took the timing and advanced it further so that could be your issue (get a different cam ;) )
Flywheels increasing top speed...well with less stress on the motor due to a lighter flywheel you could see a small increase but with your setup...I'd focus more on just changing gearing if you're wanting more top speed.

Back