Flywheel Safe??

DRC21

I got a sick outlaw Alcohol Briggs Flathead. Was turning it about 9000 rpms and it only has a stock cast iron 5hp flywheel. Most people say that's unsafe, but what's everyone's option don't have money to buy a billet or I would

No one can come on here and say they are totally safe at those rpm's because a few have been known to fail, we used them at those rpm's for a long time and didn't have a problem , maybe we were just lucky. Knowing what I do now, if I couldn't afford a billet, I'd find a good 3 HP cast iron flywheel that was in perfect shape, never modified and pick up one of the coil position adapters made for them and use it. They were used on opens before the billet came along and often turned higher than 9000. The 3hp's smaller diameter and lighter weight have less forces acting upon it trying to tear it apart than a 5hp wheel does. Get you a billet when you can so you don't have to worry about it.

10gs seems to be the magic number. Like John said, we turned our limiteds 10gs with the stock flywheels back in the day with no problem BUT there WAS a problem and it was addressed with a billet flywheel rule. Some say that killed the limited flatheads back then (might be true) but with the cost of a dependable billet flywheel what it is today, I wouldn't even consider running a lt'd or open without one.
John also suggested the 3HP Briggs wheel -- we've done that as well. Again, no problems personally. (In fact I have a couple used mild stock appearings sitting here now for sale now that have the 3HP flywheel and lowering coil bracket on them.) For the difference in price form a brand new 3 HP Briggs flywheel to an ARC billet wheel, there's no sense in going with the stock wheel any longer in my opinion.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back