Flywheels

Jezzys

Hello there. I've got a kt196 that seized up today while my kids were riding in the mud. It had started smoking lightly so I'm sure it's toast. I got a free Honda gx240 that I rebuilt and got ready to sell. Instead I'm going to put it on the go kart. My question is in reference to the flywheels on the 2 individual engines. I had just put a billet flywheel on my 196, I'm curious if it will now switch over to my gx240? Is there something that would prevent this swap? Magnet placement? Shaft taper looks like the same. Coil? I don't plan on getting another 196 or 212. I do have a predator 212, 4 inch semi trash pump I could save it to put on some day. Any help is much appreciated.

I don’t have any experience with the gx240, but I would compare the stock flywheel taper on the gx240 with the billet flywheel taper for the clone. Look at the key ways and and magnet location. If everything looks and measures the same give it a whirl. This is what I would do in your situation.

Thank you guys. I'm having the gx240 shaft milled to fit my 30 series juggernaut. If I can get the timing in the correct spot and the taper is incorrect I'm going to have it milled down also. I'm lucky to have a great machinist in my area. The flywheel that came off yesterday looks exactly like the one that came off of the clone. It does feel a bit heavier though. Any thoughts on the oil sensor in these Hondas? Should I remove it or is it actually pretty reliable in it's purpose? I've seen some people complain that engines will shut off going around corners and some elevation changes.

If you are racing or just raising the devil In general the low oil shut off can become a pain. I would definitely do away with it.

Back