Food for thought on inside prep!

nckarter1

I see questions all the time about summertime racing and cutting way back on inside prep to as little as 25 to 30 cc equal to 1oz or less. My food for thought is this, how much inside does it take to completely coat the inside of the tire? What is the minimum amount that will roll around the entire inside. In my experience I've seen very very little difference in 30 to 60 cc I wonder why....

that's the truth. does 1 oz really make it around the tire more than once. such a small amount may be better wiped on. problem there is the wiping device absorbs the prep. I can see when you use 100 cc's it can get on side wall, but 1 oz not too sure. obviously roll speed plays into it also.

1 oz is enough to coat the inside. How many revolutions it makes in the tire before absorbing with depend on the treatment itself. For instance, something like paint reducers, toluene, acetone, etc will not make as many revolutions as Tire Tuff, Kryptonite or SQS.

Last edited:
Agree with what Chris said....it depends on the chemicals, the thickness, absorption rate, evaporation rate, how much oil is in the inside conditioner, if it is rolled mounted or unmounted, etc. It also depends on what width and what circumference tire we're talking about. We typically roll 1 ounce (30ccs) of our conditioner inside of the left sides and 2 ounces inside of the right sides.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back