Ford guys

rowdy66

Thinking about buying and 04 expedition with the 5.4. Other than the spark plug issues they had an 05 and up, are these motors in it for the long haul? One Im looking at has 167k, should that scare me? thanks

I've had 3 with over 300,000 miles one with over 500,000 miles and a cracked manifold for over 1/2 of those miles, we have an 02 right now with almost 200,000 miles runs great my first 2 were used hard on construction sites with every tom, dick, & harry driving them, they were pick-ups my uncle has an expedition now with pushing 400,000 on one, so there fine in my book if it's in good shape 167,000 would not scare me.

Good Luck !!

Its a ford, of course its gonna be a good choice! Just put some good spark plugs in it, some good oil in it and keep it changed regularly, and you shouldnt need to do anything other than drive it. Iv had alot of fords over the years, and have yet to have one blow up or tear up for any reason that i didnt cause myself. Maintenance is the key with any vehicle you get if you plan on making it last. The 5.4 is a great engine, and more fuel efficient than some of the smaller small blocks of earlier years actually, especially the triton 5.4.

should be ok.20 years wrenching Fords and the main things are oil and filter changes and don't forget the air filter most people don't realize just how much debris is sucked up in the air intake. The dust does go through those filters when neglected and that causes as much wear as not changing oil or more. I suggest factory filters and no K&N cause more air means more dust and dirt seen it and done it !

I have seen a lot of issues with the 24 valve engines , just make sure it has 2 valves per cylinder and you should be good. I would not be scared of the miles just check it over real good maybe even take it to your favorite shop and have them put it on a lift for a good look see.

I had 2 Chevy work vans break down in the same week, one on Tuesday, one on Friday, about 2 years ago... That following Saturday I went to the local dealership to see what kind of used work vans were on hand and got luckier than heck....Purchased an '03 Ford E-350 Super Duty, best work van I have ever had... Bought her with 167,000ish miles, she's got 230,000ish miles now and still purrs like a kitten... I usually put about 32,000 miles a year on my work vehicle, and sure this Ford will make it to 400,000 or more.... only paid $5000.00 for the van but made me that money back in a couple weeks:)......

I have a Chevy work van with 500,000 on it and its never broke down. Bought it when it had 100,000 on it for $2000. Still has plenty of power and gets at least 17 mpg. Only uses about a half a qt between oil changes and it will haul as much or more weight than a one ton daully

I'm a tech at a Dodge dealership. I'm very familiar with them. In fairness I will say they do perform well and have alot of room....BUT they do not hold up very well and are not very reliable. The worst part is parts availability and the cost of repairs. They are VERY VERY expensive to fix and downtime will kill ya if your a businessman.

Back