Free valve ?

btjones65

I’m doing some research into freevalve technology. Which is cam less electric or pneumaticly driven valve train. Similar to distributorless ignition system. I can see a ton of racing possibilities for it. I just figured I’d ask if anyone had done anything with it before I chased it too far down the rabbit hole.

Navistar claimed they had a camless version of the powerstroke engine. Was supposed to go to market about 2010. Never heard anymore about it.

I believe F1 uses that technology.

Nice concept , might be a little much for a racing go kart engine .
The video brings up a question ? Direct injection vs forced injection .
What is the difference ?
My take is forced injection is - port injection force provided by the turbo .
Particulate = carbon build up .

Last edited:
You may have seen this: https://www.freevalve.com/freevalve-technology/

My company has been working on this concept for a while (tied to ignition and fuel injection ECUs). It does have a lot of potential for combustion engines in general, just adds a lot complexity. The piezo actuators (and feedback) for valve control is where the gains are made.
Yea, I was watching it this morning. There also a guy who’s done a low tech version on a predator. I’ve got a 3D printer and a CNC available to me so, I can make the hard parts. Unfortunately, I’m just not tech savy enough to do the software part.
From what I’ve seen, I think it can be made for a couple hundred bucks but, could provide unlimited gains in power and tuning for individual tracks and conditions

Was supposed to go to market about 2010. Never heard anymore about it. - Cost and complexity are/were the reasons. I'm sure OEs will get there one day.

Yea, I was watching it this morning. There also a guy who’s done a low tech version on a predator. I’ve got a 3D printer and a CNC available to me so, I can make the hard parts. Unfortunately, I’m just not tech savy enough to do the software part.
From what I’ve seen, I think it can be made for a couple hundred bucks but, could provide unlimited gains in power and tuning for individual tracks and conditions
The biggest issue is the speed of the feedback device to tell you where the valve is during extend and retract. With some creative math, someone could plot the positions over an rpm range (and then factor in a little safety margin if the actuator lost control). May be 'do-able' with an amped up Raspberry Pi... It would be a very cool project.:cool:

You may have seen this: https://www.freevalve.com/freevalve-technology/

My company has been working on this concept for a while (tied to ignition and fuel injection ECUs). It does have a lot of potential for combustion engines in general, just adds a lot complexity. The piezo actuators (and feedback) for valve control is where the gains are made.
General Motors research lab developed this technology way back in 1983. I read some of these reports.
Steve

I’ll tell you Jimbo. I started looking at this stuff last week after talking someone about restoring one of my dads old midgets ( one of the few that still survive). The story I got was, the original owner had bought it back and was restoring for vintage racing. He took I’ll and passed away a few months ago.
But, what he was really doing was making a “Pink Lady” @car. In short, he was making a car to race, Not parade around with the old guys. Including, running an old Crosley motor for a power plant. Which on its surface, would be like running a Predator with the opens.

But, just like karting, the indoor races in Atlantic City, Trenton and others have very little grip so handling and a smooth power curve are more important than raw horsepower. Done correctly, the car may be able to compete in those venues quite well....with a little help.

@ The Pink Lady started off life as a 1968 Grant King built sprint car. Over the years and decades, it’s been chopped up, updated, and
competes today with 75 year old Kenny Hamilton
driving.

The problem I see is that there are so many people "racing" today that have a hard time using an air pressure gauge or knowing the difference between a phillips screw driver and a torx bit. and.
Part of the reason the LO 206 has been very successful is because it's so simple.

The problem I see is that there are so many people "racing" today that have a hard time using an air pressure gauge or knowing the difference between a phillips screw driver and a torx bit. and.
Part of the reason the LO 206 has been very successful is because it's so simple.
Truer words were never spoken...
But, we’re old guys, we understand the mechanics of how things work. Young people people may be more adept at programming and coding. It could provide a bridge to interest a younger generation.

The other side of the discussion is the advantage modern techies have that know how to use technology (eltromechanical) to build things that would be extremely difficult if not impossible otherwise.

Back