Front end location. Away or towards driver?

I've read so many explanations of what this does, I doubt there are any explanations of just exactly what it does in all situations, with all karts, with all drivers, with all tracks.

Try it, you might like it.

It's called tuning, and Tuning is tough! (Al Nunley)

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

It will change how the COG(center of gravity) causes your kart to operate both in the turns and on the straights.

There is no other general answer, because what will happen depends on how your kart is already operating out on the track and how it is already setup. Under some conditions it will cause one thing, under other conditions it will do something else and the something else can be the exact opposite.

The best answer will come from your thoughts about how your RF tire is now working and then thinking about how moving it closer to the COG, which operates your kart, might change how it operates.

If your thinking of a specific on track problem and how moving it might alter the problem, many might give it a shot at answering. But you'll also have to define your thoughts a little. We'd want to know what the problem is your thinking about and where on the track does the problem occur. We'd need that to even give general answers. If your looking for a fix to a specific problem, then those who might answer will also need more detail, things like weight outs, how the front end is setup, how the back is setup with stagger mainly and then on to if possible how your tires are treated.

You asked tough questions. Not because there hard to answer, but because there very complex to answer.

I'll give the first one a try.

If you move the RF wheel forward on a banked track it will hit and engage with the track sooner entering the turn. If it's a flat track it will make the RF wheel engage with the track later.

Beyond that it's about how everything else is setup. And I'll bet just saying what I did, got a lot of folks thinking about if what I said was correct or not. What do you think? I went from the RF working with the track sooner to working with the track later, with the same adjustment.

confusing?

answer: No, just complex, but it is fun to think about ain't it?

What would happen if I

1. Move RF wheel towards driver or away from driver?

2. Move LF wheel closer to driver or away from driver?

What we can say with certainty is this: if we move a tire closer to the CG (the CG of most karts isn't too far from the driver) the tire will get heavier. If we move it further away it will get lighter.

This is all we can say with certainty. To actually know how it'll affect the kart we need to have some understanding about how the tire is loaded (and how the others are loaded as well).

Todd
www.dynamicsofspeed.com

To my understanding moving RF away will slow or load the RF less. Closer will load RF faster sooner. If i am thinking of it the right way. It all depends how much or little you need your RF to work bite or not bite?

I'm thinking it has more to do with the change in wheelbase, and in the change in weight loading. Longer wheel bases turn slower, (less quick) and lighter wheels grip less. (Put it on the scales) Those are the fundamentals.

I agree Al. Depending on your kart forward hole vs. back hole on castor plate can change wheelbase quite a bit.I am not to good at initially explaining my thoughts but forward hole RF will take longer to load /grip.

There is no right or wrong way to run the lead. We've always had better luck in the rear position, but raced against people that preferred the front. No real speed made from one or the other. My driver likes a tighter kart, the other a looser kart.

The only problem I have with using the rear axle to get lead will make your drive and driven sprockets out of parallel, I have had to adjust my engine mount front stand 1/8" offset from the rear one to keep my chain alignment good.

The only problem I have with using the rear axle to get lead will make your drive and driven sprockets out of parallel, I have had to adjust my engine mount front stand 1/8" offset from the rear one to keep my chain alignment good.

Sounds like you need a floating setup

Back