front stagger

Ride height, weight transfer, camber on both front wheels, cross, and many other things. Are you looking for more of handling characteristic that would change?

This is as simple as it gets..........

It will help load the RF more quickly from entry to center (Because of increased preload); while unloading the RF quicker from center out.

There is much more that can be said but, who likes details anyway. :)

Think about what Hptqfast said above and how all those things relate to weight moving under dynamic conditions.

what would going from 1 1/4 to 1-1/2 front stagger change

Hi Gary,

Is the change in stagger the only thing you are going to do?

In your question are you getting the extra 1/4" stagger by putting a smaller tire on the LF?

Has your question already been answered or is there maybe more to it your asking about?

I like details . Have always ran 1 3/8 to 1 1/2 stagger up front , wondering what i have missed not experimenting some.

TWR

Front stagger is primarily a weight transfer tool...the more stagger you run in the front, the less transfer to the RF tire

Front stagger is primarily a weight transfer tool...the more stagger you run in the front, the less transfer to the RF tire

hummmm... Figuring both you and rebsfan4 are correct, then you transfer less but what you do, gets there quicker.

hummmm... again... Is it there quicker because you put it there when making the adjustment... hummmm... for you both to be correct, doesn't what you already put there mean there's less remaining to transfer there?

So maybe... you transfer less because some is already there and what does go there gets there quicker. ok... does that sound logical? Not knowing for sure i'll give a maybe on it. ... :)

The only thing I see missing is a reason for weight to transfer quicker. If were talking about dynamic weight it about always transfers at the speed of light or instantaneously. So then for it to transfer quicker, what mechanical action happens quicker to make it do it?

So many questions and so tough to find answers. ... :) sure wish I knew it all.

Unlike the rear stagger, where both wheels are attached to the same axle, I don't understand front stagger at all. It's one way to get more weight on the RF, that is true, but it seems that if the kart manufacturer had built some stagger in, this would be unnecessary. Or maybe more adjustment.

Disclaimer; I have never driven an LTO type kart. But this solution is so apparent, I just had to comment.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.
(Al Nunley)

Yeah.
Pretty much what LTG said.
If you said 'Here's $500. Tell me your front stagger.'
I couldn't do it.

Front stagger effects cross and more important chassis rake which will effect steered camber. Another overlooked area is caster trail (Something Mike Grady really looked at in-depth) and front staggers overall effect on caster as the kart sees it. More front stagger acts as a reduction in caster. Caster, KPI, caster trail, and scrub radius are all tied into the scenario and one effects the other. KPI will effect the pivot point of the tire and how weight is transferred/distributed across the contact patch. How that weight is distributed across the contact patch effects handling.

Also effected is the center of gravity height and the front roll center. This can have an effect on weight transfer. (A higher CG will transfer more weight and a more negative front roll center will transfer less weight to the RF).

Something worth mentioning is how front stagger will increase or decrease the amount of twist put into the chassis. It does not sound like a lot but when added to what you already have due to your cross setting, an 1/8th inch more/less twist in the chassis is a change that could have a large effect on handling. In going from say a 32” LF to a 32.5” LF is a change of only a little over 1/16” of ride height may not seem like much but what is the change in the spring rate of the chassis if you already have the washers maxed out? I prefer custom spindles to even out the washers with the front stagger that I want to run. It takes one less variable out of the equation.

In the overall scheme of things we are looking at several ways to achieve the optimal load at the RF, but the unloading of the LR is effected differently depending on the way you have chosen to load the RF.

We have static load which is the weight on a given corner with kart sitting still on scales with the driver in the kart race ready, dynamic load or weight of a given corner at a point on the track where maximum weight transfer is happening, and net weight transfer, which would be the difference between the static and dynamic load on the tires. This is effected directly by the center of gravity height and overall chassis design as well as things like camber and the effects of tire deflection as they induce chassis travel. So, if the chassis is already pre-flexed due to say your washers being maxed out, then adding/reducing that pre-flex due to a front stagger change will effect handling.

Then there is the “braking effect” caused by rolling resistance which is a whole different story. The bottom line is study your chassis and know how each change effects the chassis. There is no need in having all sorts of front tires to adjust front stagger. You just need to know how 1” of front stagger works verses 2” of front stagger with your numbers reset. You can setup a chassis however you like, you just have to match all the other variables up. They have to complement each other.

Mike McCarty
Chassis Manual Only $17.95
www.kartcalc.com

Back