Front wheel runout.

snealon

What is the allowable limit of run-out for a kart wheel. I was changing tires and noticed a wobble in the lip. I put the wheel on the front axle and spun. Then I put a dial indicator on the wheel and found .012 runout. Is this a concern? I ask because last run the front was bouncing. I thought I separated a 7 yr old tire. But after removing to replace tire found the runout. Should I just mount up new tires? Or is that runout unacceptable?
Scott

I don't think .012 run out would be much of a concern. I would look more at the balance of the tire and wheel. I race some rims that are worse than that and they don't bounce.

Could a tire separating from being old do this. The first session seemed good. But I was just getting the rust off the driver. The second session I noticed it. It was on pavement by the way

I've seen tires bounce from being out of balance on endurable courses, but never on a Sprint course, although I did balance my Sprint kart tires. I never saw one bounce and traced it to a tire being out of around.

Way back when, I had a friend who raced quarter midgets and they would actually turn the wheel on a lathe and cut the tire perfectly round. This was in the AA class on asphalt.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

.012" is probably just fine, but you could always have the tire cut in a tire lathe - lots of tire shops out there that can do this for you.
I've cut brand new ones that are more out of round that that.

Now, if the tire de-laminated, that's a whole other issue...it doesn't sound like that's the case for you.

And for what it's worth, 7 year old tires can be as fast (or faster in some instances) than brand new ones - depends on the brand and the track obviously. We still run (and win) on some Burris that are '07 date codes.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back