G forces

The other test for me was on the scales. After getting numbers with wheel straight, turn left the amount you would at turn in. My belief is not enough weight is removed from the left to allow it to slip. However, I can see enough weight added to right rear to add traction to a tire that is slipping slightly. Ever notice engine rpm increases right at turn in?

The traction circle theory states for a tire with a given weight can only produce so much traction. If part of traction is used to hold tire laterally, less is available for forward traction.
This fits my assumption as less lateral traction is required, more is available for forward drive.

The front-end settings perform a myriad of tasks while making a lap. It must provide steering, balance traction with the rear, provide feedback to the driver, and help promote weight transfer throughout each corner. The design of chassis relies on using caster, camber, scrub radius, kingpin inclination, Ackerman, and toe to achieve these objectives. The link below provides the best description I have found of the design and use closest to how we use these systems.

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=42467

I agree with most of your premise. However, you must evaluate the whole system in order to see what is actually happening.

"However" and "But" pretty much say the same thing in that context!!

The premise of my statement was in regards to one part of the LTO system. I know, and I understand, that there are many components to any LTO "kart" system. Your apparent need to remind me only gives more credence to my first statement.

IMO, there can be no comparison between a "kart" and a "car". A car has Springs, shock absorbers, A-frames, sway bars, not to mention a very heavily weighted weight bias to the front end. If there was a need to compare a kart to a motor vehicle, an F1 would be a better comparison. Any comparison, between an LTO kart and any vehicle originally designed to turn left and right, I believe is an absolute waste of time.

I have to believe........... no automobile, with the scrub radius of a go kart, was ever built. No automobile, with the caster built into most karts, was ever built. No automobile, with the spring rate of a kart, was ever built. I can't document it at this moment, but I don't think any kart was ever built with the power to weight ratio of an F1 car and then actually raced, Or had an eight or nine ratio gearbox.

"However" and "But" pretty much say the same thing in that context!!

The premise of my statement was in regards to one part of the LTO system. I know, and I understand, that there are many components to any LTO "kart" system. Your apparent need to remind me only gives more credence to my first statement.

IMO, there can be no comparison between a "kart" and a "car". A car has Springs, shock absorbers, A-frames, sway bars, not to mention a very heavily weighted weight bias to the front end. If there was a need to compare a kart to a motor vehicle, an F1 would be a better comparison. Any comparison, between an LTO kart and any vehicle originally designed to turn left and right, I believe is an absolute waste of time.

I have to believe........... no automobile, with the scrub radius of a go kart, was ever built. No automobile, with the caster built into most karts, was ever built. No automobile, with the spring rate of a kart, was ever built. I can't document it at this moment, but I don't think any kart was ever built with the power to weight ratio of an F1 car and then actually raced, Or had an eight or nine ratio gearbox.

I currently race in dirt oval class of cars with up to 60% rear bias. If you had read the link provided, caster, scrub radius as you discuss them are described. Current dirt late model and even NASCAR use bump stops and chassis bar angle settings that render springs ineffective. Do a little research. I'm just asking you to consider that it is possible.

Scrub radius and kingpin inclination

The high cross front uses kingpin inclination to limit scrub radius on the right front. On the left front, changing kingpin inclination allows us to increase scrub radius without widening front track width.

Caster

Caster has several functions. It becomes camber as the kart is steered. Caster adds driver feedback that is lost with the reduction of scrub radius. It also used for weight jacking and promotion of weight transfer.

why are ya'll turning how to set up a chassis into rocket science. were not flying to the moon.
please keep in simple.

why are ya'll turning how to set up a chassis into rocket science. were not flying to the moon.
please keep in simple.

Everyone complains about the price of racing. The cheapest thing you can do is think about what your kart is doing.
I posted these things because writing about it helps me think. The beautiful thing about this is no one is forcing you to read my thoughts. If it doesn't interest you, not a problem. If one person gets one thing out of this, mission accomplished. In fact, I already have.

No what I'm saying is that a new person to this sport could read your post and be totally confused. That's why I said keep it simple.

No what I'm saying is that a new person to this sport could read your post and be totally confused. That's why I said keep it simple.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm trying, but some things are complex if you are going to understand them. I feel confusion can be caused by oversimplification. I've read some things on here that I got nothing from.

Back