Gear discussions

13 driver vs 12 driver ??
Pros and cons
In my personal opinion only, makes no difference, one way or the other. Of course I've only been around karting since 1966, so my opinion might not count.

So they asked the guy, how long have you had Alzheimer's, "oh, I don't know, about as long as I can remember".

So they asked the guy, how long have you had Alzheimer's, "oh, I don't know, about as long as I can remember".[/QUOTE]

hahahahaha thats a good one!

Here comes another "a ratio is a ratio" argument!!

A mechanical engineer will tell you a ratio is a ratio is a ratio . A racer will tell you a Big Big is for a momentum track . And a small small is for a track with tight turns .

In my personal opinion only, makes no difference, one way or the other. Of course I've only been around karting since 1966, so my opinion might not count.

So they asked the guy, how long have you had Alzheimer's, "oh, I don't know, about as long as I can remember".

And how many oval races have you ran? How many National titles on ovals? How many FH, Animal, or clone wins at bigger races?
If you have no experience at any of these, then how can you even have an honest opinion?

In my experience, smaller driver and sprocket will give you better acceleration coming out of slower corners but you give up a bit on the top end, opposite for big/big.

If I am losing ground coming off a turn and my rpms are where they need to be I will go with a smaller driver and the correct sprocket out back to give me the same or close to the ratio I was running.

If I am losing out on the end of the straights and my rpms are where they need to be I will go up on driver and run corresponding sprocket.

And how many oval races have you ran? How many National titles on ovals? How many FH, Animal, or clone wins at bigger races?
If you have no experience at any of these, then how can you even have an honest opinion?
have you ever heard of a thing called "deductive reasoning?"
In the late forties, I remember hearing in school about this crazy guy who was telling the world that at one point, South America and Africa were joined together. That over the centuries they had drifted apart. How crazy was that!! Something like 30 or 40 years later, it was proven that he was right. Now I don't put myself in that guys class of smarts, but it shows you that, with deductive reasoning, a lot of things can be figured out. And, not surprisingly, in those days, there were a lot of people huffing and puffing about how this guy was crazy. And not surprisingly, they could spout off endlessly with reasons why he was wrong.
With many new ideas, the naysayers come out of the woodwork telling us how wrong these new ideas are. Sometimes their right and sometimes their wrong.

Not to make any comparison to myself, but most of the world of science insisted that Albert Einstein was wrong with his theory of relativity and his contention that a beam of light could be bent by a gravitational field. When it was proven that he was right, there was a lot of mud on a lot of faces. I only use these examples because they are such well-known examples of deductive reasoning

Did you know that at one time there were people saying that the bumblebee could not fly. Did you know that at one time it was the contention of some that the 150 mile-per-hour barrier in the quarter mile would never be exceeded. The first one being obviously wrong and the second one being proven wrong.

I believe I can answer this. Al has zero real life data on dirt oval. A gear ratio is just that. A number. I've had 2 different motors that required different front drivers on them to produce the same speed on the same track. Both motors would dyno very very close. But one would make more speed with a bigger driver and the other would make more speed with a smaller driver. We learnt that with something called seat time and real data.

BINGO!! Hard to beat seat time and real data. The butt dyno and stopwatch most of the time gets you in the winning circle.

I might not be an expert, but I did spend the night at a Holiday Inn about five years ago.....

and!! I once attended a seminar on positive thinking....came away with a positive opinion that I would positively never spend my money or time on a seminar on the power of positive thinking....

and I never did hear what EF Hutton had to say on anything....

Did you know that at one time there were people saying that the bumblebee could not fly. Did you know that at one time it was the contention of some that the 150 mile-per-hour barrier in the quarter mile would never be exceeded. The first one being obviously wrong and the second one being proven wrong.

This anecdote about the laws of aerodynamics showing that a bumblebee should not be able to fly is an excellent example for me to turn around and use against your argument. What this shows is that things can happen that we do not have the science, equations, or knowledge to explain or understand fully. The bee can fly even though equations predict that it cannot. There must be something wrong with the equations. The data did not support their theory.;)

In the matter of the gear ratios, well I guess its up to the racer to accept the information provided by others, cling to simple equations as proof, or test for themselves. Beliefs do not change reality. Physics does not answer to the equations. The equations merely try to explain it as best they can.

A mechanical engineer will tell you a ratio is a ratio is a ratio . A racer will tell you a Big Big is for a momentum track . And a small small is for a track with tight turns .

A decent engineer would understand that there are other things at play than just ratios. Things like mass, friction, and geometry that could have an effect on the dynamics and efficiency of a chain and gear system. They wouldn’t dismiss it just because they couldn’t explain it with basic equations.

An engineer would try to figure out how the bee was able to levitate.:D

So with all the lengthy threads and arguing back and forth on here and the use of the mysterious devil term "Gear Bound" ; this is simply about flywheel effect and rotating mass for different engines and track types. If someone would have said that long ago, we could have avoided alot of blood shed. I know, with my demonstrated keen understanding of rotating mass and acceleration, I would have understood immediately.....:) ROFLMAO at myself....I get it!

small oval track out of throttle and back on it, clone engine, 1/8th mile id say

If I'm understanding this right(and I may not be) , you should run the small 12 tooth driver. This will make you use a smaller axle sprocket to get the right ratio. You will have a shorter lighter chain that is traveling around a smaller dia rear sprocket, so it should accelerate ever so slightly quicker.(less flywheel affect)...

small oval track out of throttle and back on it, clone engine, 1/8th mile id say

For what you describe without seeing it your gonna be 13,14,or 15 If it out of the throttle and on the small side of an 1/8th mile it would be 13-59 ish, If it's is right at an 1/8th it would be a 14-62 ish, 15 would only come into play if it's bigger than an 1/8th and track would get real good with bite, close to an 1/8th mile is to big for the 12 driver with a clone
Flathead or Animal the 12 would be closer. I own a 1/8th mile dirt oval but it's Momentum my info is based on how close your description is on size and how long your out of the throttle, But that will give you a good starting point.

Good Luck !!

You should run the smaller driver because it takes 164 pancakes to cover an average size dog house.......... (try them both ans see what you think, you'll never get agreement on this issue here!)

You should run the smaller driver because it takes 164 pancakes to cover an average size dog house.......... (try them both ans see what yo:cool:u think, you'll never get agreement on this issue here!)

Is that a Tammy Faye Baker dog house with central heat and air or a fifty five gal drum with the end cut out.....:cool:

Back