Gear ratio for 1/8 mile oval?

Alien

Can anyone give me an idea of what ratio I should run on a 1/8 mile oval, specifically Snydersvill Raceway in northeastern pa?

I have only run there once so far and I was running a 14/63 setup in the senior flathead heavy class.

I definitely need more rpm's but not sure what rear gear I should try next. I have a decent assortment of rear gears but I only have a 14 tooth driver at the moment.

Any suggestions?

Can anyone give me an idea of what ratio I should run on a 1/8 mile oval, specifically Snydersvill Raceway in northeastern pa?

I have only run there once so far and I was running a 14/63 setup in the senior flathead heavy class.

I definitely need more rpm's but not sure what rear gear I should try next. I have a decent assortment of rear gears but I only have a 14 tooth driver at the moment.

Any suggestions?

15-64 would be a good start

Any suggestions?

Send JPMKarting a private message he will know what's best and what's best with your 14 driver if it's not a 14 driver, I have an Idea but He'll know for sure, If you get no response post back, I'll make a call or 2 for ya.

Good Luck !!

Any suggestions?
1. 14/63 = 4.50
2. 15/64 = 4.27
3. 14/60 = 4.29 pretty close to 15/64

6000 RPM, 34 inch tires
14/63 equals 42.93 mph one tooth, in this range, +/-, equals about .93 RPM at the same speed.
15/64 equals 45.24 mph 2.31 miles per hour faster.
14/60 equals 45.03 mph

My Excel spreadsheets come in pretty handy sometimes.
Changing 3 teeth at a time,???

Any suggestions?

I would not use any of the above mentioned drivers.

Primarily an 11-60 to an 11-62, or a 12-63 to a 12-66, depending on weight/track conditions. You want to be turning about 6800-7000 RPM at the end of the straights.

If you need an 11 or 12T driver, let me know, i have them for sale

Not there you wouldn't , 12 - 64,65 is what he needs, that 14 or 15 driver he's out to lunch.
11/60 = 5.45
11/59 = 5.36
12/64 = 5.33
12/65 = 5.42 not a whole lot of difference.
but you are right, 14/15 driver, assuming your ratio is right, with #35 chain, would be to big.

Maybe we're forgetting something, what is the circumference of the tires?

11/60 = 5.45
11/59 = 5.36
12/64 = 5.33
12/65 = 5.42 not a whole lot of difference.
but you are right, 14/15 driver, assuming your ratio is right, with #35 chain, would be to big.

Maybe we're forgetting something, what is the circumference of the tires?

Not forgetting anything, the track just simply cant use a 14+ clutch driver.

Some have had success with a 13T, but even then, track conditions have to be right and restarts will hurt

Always use the biggest front driver that is productively applicable to the track size AND condition. Sometimes than driver is smaller and sometimes it is bigger. Some will understand that while some will not. Some will find out through practical experience while some will not. The stopwatch doesn't lie.

My sonse Racing a Honda clone in JT 2. We must run 15t clutches on our 1/8th mile Track Lil E... it’s a mild bank most every kid not getting passed runs low any suggestions?

My sonse Racing a Honda clone in JT 2. We must run 15t clutches on our 1/8th mile Track Lil E... it’s a mild bank most every kid not getting passed runs low any suggestions?

Not sure I understand the question, any suggestions on rear gear ? any suggestions on how to get past kids running low on the track ?
What RPM are you looking to turn it ?

I ran a 14/65 when that’s all I had. I changed my whole logic on drivers... I own nothing above a 13 now.

I would not use any of the above mentioned drivers.

Primarily an 11-60 to an 11-62, or a 12-63 to a 12-66, depending on weight/track conditions. You want to be turning about 6800-7000 RPM at the end of the straights.

If you need an 11 or 12T driver, let me know, i have them for sale
I know this is an old post but wanted your feedback. Running a small 1/8 mile, closer to 1/7 mile dirt oval 10 degree banking. 38 inch circumference hoosier treaded tires on a winged kart. Running a stock appearing motor thats 26 hp appox. I want to be at least 7600-7800 rpm in the straights. Kart currently has 11-67 gears. What are your thoughts? Our first time ever running the kart and the track.

Back