gearing for 1/10 clay oval

steve10

Hello, My son and I are new to this we had our first race this last weekend, It was a 1/10 high banked clay oval,he could hold is own for the most part but just couldn't get enough power to come out of the corners, finished 2 in his feature. We are running a 196cc clone with red restrictor plate 34 in burris tires 14 - 69 gears and black and white springs on a fury clutch,and we had 4895 max rpms, I'm thinking of running the same spring on the clutch and changing to 12 - 65 gears for next week. I was looking for any help on this if I'm doing the right thing or whats the best way to go. Thank you.

To keep same ratio, would need to be 12-59. With red plate, 5500 will be out of power. So, yeah, 12-65 may be a good place to start.

I want to say the max is around 6400 with unrestricted motor, but we have to run the red restrictor plate on it so I'm gonna say 5

What MAX rpm can you run ? Is his class able to flat foot it or a lot of out of the throttle ? Do you know rpm drop ?

I want to say the max is around 6400 unrestricted, but we are in the beginners class and have to run the red restrictor plate on it so I'm gonna say 5500 rpm maybe, and he runs flat footed, he said he only hits the brake to get off the track, his max rpms after running is 4895 rpms, I don't know the rpm drop.

Man it's tough to say you could of been somewhat gear bound with the 14/69, I agree with Shaw at 5500 I think your out of power range, I would get off the 14/69 for sure, try the 12/65 see what it does. I think you'll find that with a 12 front a 63 rear will end up closer.

Good Luck !!

Man it's tough to say you could of been somewhat gear bound with the 14/69, I agree with Shaw at 5500 I think your out of power range, I would get off the 14/69 for sure, try the 12/65 see what it does. I think you'll find that with a 12 front a 63 rear will end up closer.

Good Luck !!
Thank you very much for the help

I tried the 12 63 set up and it only turned 4850 rpms flat footed on the track, then went to 12 65 set up and turned 4920 rpms but I can't get the holeshot off the starting point should I tune the clutch for lower engagement rpm to get the jump because they start at a dead stop, line up sit there then green flag and go, was thinking using a 16 69 set up any thoughts. Other racers at the track said with the 12 seemed kart was gear bound seems to run better with the bigger clutch sprocket.Just looking for some imput on this. Thank you

For standing start I would raise the stall .
Driver being ready would help also .
The gear would affect it some but that's not what you want to change to better the start.

I tried the 12 63 set up and it only turned 4850 rpms flat footed on the track, then went to 12 65 set up and turned 4920 rpms but I can't get the holeshot off the starting point should I tune the clutch for lower engagement rpm to get the jump because they start at a dead stop, line up sit there then green flag and go, was thinking using a 16 69 set up any thoughts. Other racers at the track said with the 12 seemed kart was gear bound seems to run better with the bigger clutch sprocket.Just looking for some imput on this. Thank you

You very well could be gear bound with the 12 driver and not getting accurate RPM readings, Bigger front driver will be better in the end BUT will take off even slower, best thing you can do for starting that way is tell your driver to anticipate the start little before that get on the throttle while HOLDING the break then when the flag drops just release the brake and mash it, and as pointed out you would raise the stall speed on the clutch not lower it.

Good Luck !!

You very well could be gear bound with the 12 driver and not getting accurate RPM readings, Bigger front driver will be better in the end BUT will take off even slower, best thing you can do for starting that way is tell your driver to anticipate the start little before that get on the throttle while HOLDING the break then when the flag drops just release the brake and mash it, and as pointed out you would raise the stall speed on the clutch not lower it.

Good Luck !!
Ok, so i'll go back to the 14 clutch gear cause that ran the best and try the 64 rear gear, and set the clutch to 3,400 rpms instead of 2,900 rpms and see how that goes, thank you for the imput just having a hard time figuring this out and all the termology that goes with it, I keep everything written in a book as to learn from it all. Thank you again

If it will help you to talk on the phone feel free to call me 717-712-3437, the 14-64 should help prove IF you were gear bound on the 12 driver.

Good Luck !!

Went racing last night ran burris SS-33 tires, also raised the stall speed to 3400 rpms on the clutch, and changed the gears to 14 - 60 on the kart, he still can't get the jump from the dead stop start, everyone pulls away at the start and the first 5 laps of the race he was a 7 karts behind them then as the race progressed the last three laps it was like the kart came alive he blew by everyone and walked away from them and won his first feature. The heat didn't have as many laps as the feature so he couldn't catch them, So still trying to figure this out want the kart to come into its speed a few laps earlier. Plus we only turned 4310 rpms on a red plate trying to get to the 5400 or 5300 range.

Could you tell If he break checked the kart and had RPM's up for the start ? Either 1 of 2 things happened why he took off, he ran it harder and built momentum, or was running it and tires fired off. I'd be confirming your not chasing bad tach readings.

Could you tell If he break checked the kart and had RPM's up for the start ? Either 1 of 2 things happened why he took off, he ran it harder and built momentum, or was running it and tires fired off. I'd be confirming your not chasing bad tach readings.
Yeah he sat at the line and held the brake and push the gas 3/4 of the way holding the kart back till he waved the green flag but he still took off like a rolling turtle until the momentum built up then it took a few laps to catch them and then he started picking them off.

well finaly got my new motor, and new hillard clutch, we are getting a better jump off the start but still having a hard time being competitive I thinks its the weight his cart with him in it weights 318 and the other cart are weighting in at around 267 we run the red plate with 12/64 gears we are turning 5630 rpms was thinking of going to a 65 gear and see how that does, plus we are running burris SS- 33's on it think of going to the burris SS- 11, trying to figure this gearing out and tires. when I think im getting close I fall steps back. any help would be greatly appreciated, and he drives flat footed on a 1/10 oval banked track. He keeps getting 3 or 4 th in the feature and getting 2 or third in the heats, we are like stuck there trying to get unstuck. Thankyou

well finaly got my new motor, and new hillard clutch, we are getting a better jump off the start but still having a hard time being competitive I thinks its the weight his cart with him in it weights 318 and the other cart are weighting in at around 267 we run the red plate with 12/64 gears we are turning 5630 rpms was thinking of going to a 65 gear and see how that does, plus we are running burris SS- 33's on it think of going to the burris SS- 11, trying to figure this gearing out and tires. when I think im getting close I fall steps back. any help would be greatly appreciated, and he drives flat footed on a 1/10 oval banked track. He keeps getting 3 or 4 th in the feature and getting 2 or third in the heats, we are like stuck there trying to get unstuck. Thankyou

50 lbs is a lot to give up especially with a red plate, but If he's indeed flat footing it a 12/64 is not the correct gearing for red plate either, also If tires are way off it will lag on starts and give low RPM. The fact that he's doing better in heats than features might be he's getting tired and missing his marks more.

Back