Gearing help!

Jalenward14

Newish to racing and box stock predators looked a good point to start. Gonna be racing on a 1/5 clay oval and have had some people running predators to go with a 19-20 x 58-60 and then some guys running clones say I'm gonna need to be closer to their gearing in like a 16-17 x 64-65. Any help?? 375 weight by the way. Thanks!, Jalen

With a true box stock predator with rules like SPG predator rules you will not be anywhere near same gearing as a clone...usually best place to start is to find out what people are using on the unrestricted clones at a certain track and use one size bigger driver gear than what they are using and go from there. With a predator, 5800-6000rpm is gonna be your peak rpm to aim for, if you have to leave the governor in place then rpm would be closer to 5200-5500 in my opinion. It would absolutely have to be a momentum track to use a 19 or bigger front driver on a 1/5 track, seems like that is just too big of a driver. On our 1/5 mile tracks we use 14 or 15 driver and 60-65 rear gear on box stock predators, unrestricted with no governor, turning 6200-6600

With a true box stock predator with rules like SPG predator rules you will not be anywhere near same gearing as a clone...usually best place to start is to find out what people are using on the unrestricted clones at a certain track and use one size bigger driver gear than what they are using and go from there. With a predator, 5800-6000rpm is gonna be your peak rpm to aim for, if you have to leave the governor in place then rpm would be closer to 5200-5500 in my opinion. It would absolutely have to be a momentum track to use a 19 or bigger front driver on a 1/5 track, seems like that is just too big of a driver. On our 1/5 mile tracks we use 14 or 15 driver and 60-65 rear gear on box stock predators, unrestricted with no governor, turning 6200-6600

Ohhh ok, I gotcha. Just gonna have to play with it and see what it does I guess. Both of the tracks I'm running at are clay 1/5 mile but are different shape and a little different surface.

Back