Getting rid of the 10.8 check

In my experience although a stiffer spring may help control valve float it does not give any more usable power up top on the clones the limiting factor is air flow mainly intake port. I have engines turning well over 7000 for entire season on one set of springs and still making great top end on Dyno and track. I would be in favor of a single weight check. The only problem I see is if you keep the 10.8 and eliminate the 18 you could make the coils at the ends weaker and cause them to bind reducing the amount of active coils and therefore a stiffer spring at max lift.

UPDATE:: after speaking to several cam grinders and builders it has come to the conclusion that eliminating the 10.8 check will definitely cost to Carter more money. There will be a new cam and springs will be altered and still meet the 18 lb check. Even though the engine will gain around 2 to 300 rpm. So for now builders are going to need to be more thorough when setting up springs.

UPDATE:: after speaking to several cam grinders and builders it has come to the conclusion that eliminating the 10.8 check will definitely cost to Carter more money. There will be a new cam and springs will be altered and still meet the 18 lb check. Even though the engine will gain around 2 to 300 rpm. So for now builders are going to need to be more thorough when setting up springs.
I don't have a dog in this race, but I think this is the right call.

I say keep the 10.8 and make the cheaters correct there spring problem. There not grinding enough off the spring and if there so called growing with time then swap springs. All there trying to do is increase the rpm on these engines to there advantage this will just be another way for the top dogs to make a rules suit there needs just my opinion.
It's not just "cheaters" per se. Since covid the integrity of the spring has been compromised. Quality control, materials who knows the exact reason, but we've noticed the problem as well. Like Don said he has had a spring pass the 10.8 ran it on the dyno and then it failed. I'm all for the forward thinking and trying to find solutions to a problem. Although I don't think it is as easy as just getting rid of one of the check be it the 10.8 or the 18.

Back