getting started

Woodboyz

my son is wanting to get a cart i think i found one for around 1400, how expensive is it to have fun racing go carts

has expensive has a person can afford....to run up front it will cost....depending on what you desire new to used equipment....more trustworthy excellent equipment his of course higher but how far do you want to go is a decision you have to make....until you and your son decide if he likes it or not,should dictate on how much to spend....... get good stuff make him competitive and you will have lots of fun.. almost all racers you meet will help you to learn this fun fun sport....GOOD LUCK go win one

Somebody asked once how expensive was it to get their kid into racing--the reply was, it is cheaper to get them into racing than get them out of trouble.

well, first of all, DONT watch "kart life", that TV show, IMO, does not depict what kart racing is all about, yes, you can have fun and not spend a whole lot, complete used rollers are normally in the range of $1500 - $2500 depending on how new they are and how much of the latest and greatest parts are on them. the greatest expense will be in tires and tire prep, how much you spend there is directly related to how fast you get through the learning curve with each and then eventually how much winning every race you enter means to you and your son. my advice, focus on having fun, and enjoy the time you spend with your son at the track. : )

thanks for all the feed back, i bought him his first kart today its a 2009 laser momentum , we are exited to get started , lots to learn , cant wait to see how he likes it , making memories

What ever you don't give him hand signals from the side lines, let him race the kart. And don't yell at them...have FUN

johnelliott and scott21 have nailed it down.
We started in 2006, when my grandson was 6. We bought the wrong kart for 600/ roller or something, then got traded out of it for something that would work. We bought a stock in the red crate Briggs for 200 and a 50.00 clutch, we went racing. We ran in the back every week, but we had fun. BOY, did we have FUN ! the next year we stepped up to Winged karts. This year, 2015, we are moving into 100HP, 500cc 2 stroke winged karts. And the fun has never left. Every year, we tell each other we are going to have to get more serious. But then, we get a half decent setup on the kart, gearing is close, his input to me is something I can understand, and vice versa. So while everyone is working away between races we are hanging out together enjoying each other's company. To my knowledge, EVERYONE in our class from that 1st year are gone, and most from that track that year are gone. Its a treat to see the ones that stayed in racing when we run into each other. What I see when I see those teams is people just like us, people really having fun togetner, NOT making it miserable for one or the other, more buddies than parent or grandparent/ child relationships. Im kind of rare being the grandparent doing it, it seems, but I wouldnt trade it for the world.
So, have fun, keep it fun, make it smething your kid and you both enjoy, and the results will come all on their own. And if they dont, just think of all the fun and quality conversations you have had. Youd be surprised what you will talk about together. Ive been asked how I can afford to do it. Truth is, I cant afford NOT to.

www.joshuamoffittracing.com not much documenton on our 2014 season, but we ran 2nd in points in Knoxville Iowa with a intentionally detuned motor (preservation, ran out of spare parts) and a seriously laid back attitude.

Enjoy your ride, and the memories you make

Back