GM or Jawa

Nick745

Looking for opinions on what you like or prefer over one another. I’m new to UAS/RWYB so just trying to gather ideas. Also what is the maintenance like compared to a 450. Thanks!

I've never ran either...but have run enough uas races to know those motors are gonna be extremely hard to drive effectively with little to no uas experience...your gonna be spending alot of time figuring out gearing, tires, set up, while trying to get good valuable seat time...I might suggest something a little less powerful to use while getting your feet wet, so to speak, uas has a written rule that they require a driving "audition"...so they can see if you can handle the kart and are able to keep.it under control at speed, if in their opinion, you cannot, you won't be allowed to race, would hate to see anyone spend the money to get one of those monsters on a kart abd then be told you're not welcome...😉

I've never ran either...but have run enough uas races to know those motors are gonna be extremely hard to drive effectively with little to no uas experience...your gonna be spending alot of time figuring out gearing, tires, set up, while trying to get good valuable seat time...I might suggest something a little less powerful to use while getting your feet wet, so to speak, uas has a written rule that they require a driving "audition"...so they can see if you can handle the kart and are able to keep.it under control at speed, if in their opinion, you cannot, you won't be allowed to race, would hate to see anyone spend the money to get one of those monsters on a kart abd then be told you're not welcome...😉
Does that same apply for RWYB rules as well? My local track mostly runs RWYB.

Does that same apply for RWYB rules as well? My local track mostly runs RWYB.
You can put the best of the best on a kart and if you don't know how to drive it will take a long learning curve. To get your feet wet I would go with a sbo in my opinion.. like an open flatty, open animal, ect. When you get the hang of everything else. Then I would spend the money on a large powerplant.

Looking for opinions on what you like or prefer over one another. I’m new to UAS/RWYB so just trying to gather ideas. Also what is the maintenance like compared to a 450. Thanks!
I don't know the jawa seems to be a little more protected as far as suppliers and repair folks the motorcycle engine if semi stock
Any motorcycle shop .
Otherwise everyone has good in put .
If your set on a big uas kart there's a race ready one in southern ill thats a bargain .

I don't know the jawa seems to be a little more protected as far as suppliers and repair folks the motorcycle engine if semi stock
Any motorcycle shop .
Otherwise everyone has good in put .
If your set on a big uas kart there's a race ready one in southern ill thats a bargain .
I’d like to see it. Is there an ad for it?

Search rwyb open karts on facebook for the ad for the mean green Jawa kart...and be prepared to bring alot of 🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑
Oh yea I saw that one! That kart is 10 minutes from me! I messaged him about seeing it on Monday but didn’t seem like he was interested and only interested in bringing it to the track on Friday for everyone to see. $2700 or so to Win this Friday night.

Audition That would disqualify most your drivers spincycle

Nick, don't let these guys BS you.

First off, you have a lot of engine choices available. Jawa/Gm engines are excellent engines (both are a little pricey) and if mounted on the kart correctly are very EASY to drive (yes, we have run them). The Motorcycle engines (anything from about 200cc to 300cc) are very competitive, readily available and fairly inexpensive. You also can use a 148cc BCR (a little pricey). They also are very competitive (talk to Chris Seay). Another option is a Sudam. Find someone selling one or talk to Buller. Any of the engines I mentioned are capable of winning in both the UAS or RWYB. We have run all of them except the BCR.

As for the Auditioning, that's a bunch of BS. The rule is that any driving that is considered dangerous by the administrator will be removed from the event (very similar to almost every track policy). We have been running the UAS for over 20 years and I have never seen any event where a person was asked to leave.

The main difference between the UAS and RWYB is that the UAS have written rules for engine sizes and weights. The RWYB is a race where there is only a safety consideration and no other rules. In this class, you will see some very innovative ideas (some that work and some that don't).

Don't lock in on any one particular engine thinking that it has an advantage. As long as you are limited in wheel size, anything that produces more than about 60HP is usually unusable. Remember, the next great speed secret is yet to be thought of..........

Hope this helps you a little bit and good luck and have fun in your UAS/RWYB racing.

First off, you have a lot of engine choices available. Jawa/Gm engines are excellent engines (both are a little pricey) and if mounted on the kart correctly are very EASY to drive (yes, we have run them). The Motorcycle engines (anything from about 200cc to 300cc) are very competitive, readily available and fairly inexpensive. You also can use a 148cc BCR (a little pricey). They also are very competitive (talk to Chris Seay). Another option is a Sudam. Find someone selling one or talk to Buller. Any of the engines I mentioned are capable of winning in both the UAS or RWYB. We have run all of them except the BCR.

As for the Auditioning, that's a bunch of BS. The rule is that any driving that is considered dangerous by the administrator will be removed from the event (very similar to almost every track policy). We have been running the UAS for over 20 years and I have never seen any event where a person was asked to leave.

The main difference between the UAS and RWYB is that the UAS have written rules for engine sizes and weights. The RWYB is a race where there is only a safety consideration and no other rules. In this class, you will see some very innovative ideas (some that work and some that don't).

Don't lock in on any one particular engine thinking that it has an advantage. As long as you are limited in wheel size, anything that produces more than about 60HP is usually unusable. Remember, the next great speed secret is yet to be thought of..........

Hope this helps you a little bit and good luck and have fun in your UAS/RWYB racing.
Bigdog, thank you! This is the info I'm looking for and I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. I can understand what they are saying, however I know my limits, I have a lot of racing experience and what is called "racecraft" that some may not always have. And a lot of laps logged at our local track.

I've been doing my due diligence on learning motors, like this thread was intended for, and chassis', tires, etc.. I also been talking to a local guy at the track that runs UAS/RWYB class with picking his brain on things. I've also spoke with Chris Seay on a few things as well.

At some point, I will want to run some UAS events once I get up to speed so again thank you for the info.

If mounted on the kart correctly are easy to drive.....anything that produces more than 60hp is usually useless...😳

Spin, Do you have a question? Your response is two different things in my response. If you mount the Jawa/GM correctly, the kart is easy to drive. This does not mean that it drives like a Putt-Putt. You can break the tires loose very easily anytime with that kind of HP and you will find that out in your first practice session. However, if you are any kind of a driver at all, you will learn very quickly to be very soft with the right pedal in the corners. As for the second response, I was merely saying that anything over 60HP is capable of breaking the tires loose nearly anytime you want and that makes the kart easier to drive for most people.

I miss the OLD Bob, did they legalize weed in FL or put alcohol in the water? Who is this guy?

Spin, Do you have a question? Your response is two different things in my response. If you mount the Jawa/GM correctly, the kart is easy to drive. This does not mean that it drives like a Putt-Putt. You can break the tires loose very easily anytime with that kind of HP and you will find that out in your first practice session. However, if you are any kind of a driver at all, you will learn very quickly to be very soft with the right pedal in the corners. As for the second response, I was merely saying that anything over 60HP is capable of breaking the tires loose nearly anytime you want and that makes the kart easier to drive for most people.
Boy you've really got me confused now....I was merely saying that anything over 60hp is capable of breaking the tires loose nearly anytime you want and that makes the kart easier to drive for most people....I run an open modified animal and it's about half that hp, and I can break the tires loose on it just about anytime....breaking the tires loose means you're gonna be squirrely down the chutes...that makes it easier to drive when you're running against other karts ..with equal or more power and better experienced drivers than a newbie trying to learn how to drive these small tire, short wheelbase rocket ships? 😳

I was saying that the HP is available when you might need it. I didn't say that you should use it all the time. Most good drivers figure this out within a few practice laps and adjust accordingly. If you are having trouble driving an open Animal down the straights, I would be checking the setup a little closer.

EC, is that why the water always tastes better in FL? Remember, this ornery old B*****d is thinking about coming to the National again this year, so get ready for the harassing...........

I was saying that the HP is available when you might need it. I didn't say that you should use it all the time. Most good drivers figure this out within a few practice laps and adjust accordingly. If you are having trouble driving an open Animal down the straights, I would be checking the setup a little closer.

EC, is that why the water always tastes better in FL? Remember, this ornery old B*****d is thinking about coming to the National again this year, so get ready for the harassing...........
Not gonna mince words with you, you seem to like to type whatever comes into your head, and then try to spin it around to make yourself not look so misguided...ignore and out...

Yeah, I've been misguided about racing for about 70 years now and we have won a bunch. Hope you have the same success.

Back