Go Pro - non helmet

S&MRacing

Just wondering if anyone has put a go pro on something other than a helmet. If so do you have any footage and can you post a link?

A few tracks are starting to ban the use of go pros on helmets for insurance reasons. I've seen a few with a mount that sticks up near the engine. Just trying to research.

Thanks!

A Go-Pro mounted on a helmet makes a concentrated impact area. A helmet is round for reasons other than it somewhat matches the shape of your head, round dissipates energy very effectively. Michael Shumacher's skiing helmet split open because his Go-Pro hit a rock. The helmet was reported in two pieces but the Go-Pro was till functional. At least to some degree.

One thing I dont understand is what the heck a skiing accident has to do with kart racing helmets.....arent skiing helmets completely different than the type of helmets we use for racing? Are they even rated for safety like the Snell rating on helmets?

impacts are impacts....the ground / pole / etc. doesn't care much what the helmet was for. Yes, they are rated, but by some Euro agency rather than SNELL. (At least my snowboard helmet is...) That said, I've never heard of a similar racing accident. I wonder of the cold weather made his helmet more brittle than a typical racing situation would encounter... I don't personally have a problem mounting one on a helmet, but I'd mount mine on the side rather than top. I'd also only use the minimum required tape so that it was more inclined to pop off with an impact.

One thing I dont understand is what the heck a skiing accident has to do with kart racing helmets.....arent skiing helmets completely different than the type of helmets we use for racing? Are they even rated for safety like the Snell rating on helmets?

Story I got was that it was a kart racer that got hurt as well. I'm not going to question it, just do as i'm told.

I think its a bunch of BS myself. There are likely other reasons those organizations are starting to do that, I've seen a couple tracks that ban cameras period, can't have them even on the kart. You have to ask WHY is that?? Motorcross is not doing that, pretty much just the opposite.

I don't use GoPro, using ReplayXD instead, lower profile. Replay has a ton of clamp mounts and such just as the Brick does. Even saw a shoulder mount recently.

impacts are impacts....the ground / pole / etc. doesn't care much what the helmet was for. Yes, they are rated, but by some Euro agency rather than SNELL. (At least my snowboard helmet is...) That said, I've never heard of a similar racing accident. I wonder of the cold weather made his helmet more brittle than a typical racing situation would encounter... I don't personally have a problem mounting one on a helmet, but I'd mount mine on the side rather than top. I'd also only use the minimum required tape so that it was more inclined to pop off with an impact.

There is just one sticky pad on all go pro mounts. And side impacts in a kart are far more likely to result in a direct hit on the side of the helmet where the mount would be located. Less likely to strike a direct hit on the top where most people mount them.

And side impacts in a kart are far more likely to result in a direct hit on the side of the helmet where the mount would be located. Less likely to strike a direct hit on the top where most people mount them.

And that wall at Daytona that Kyle Busch hit didn't have a SAFER barrier because it wasn't likely anyone would hit it. They're called accidents for a reason.

Are we racing or making movies ???????????????????Why do we need camera on our helmet............................????????????

Are we racing or making movies ???????????????????Why do we need camera on our helmet............................????????????

I've seen people mount them for reasons such as instructional tools for kids, setup, tires etc.. There are many reasons I could come up with for using a camera and yes we make movies too for our viewing pleasure!

And that wall at Daytona that Kyle Busch hit didn't have a SAFER barrier because it wasn't likely anyone would hit it. They're called accidents for a reason.

You can get hit by a car walking your doggy... I go on a race track knowing I might not make it off. We all know the risk and pay to play.

Back