Governor not closing throttle

FOMOGO

Ok guys don't be to hard on me with this one. I have 3 predators for projects. All are fresh out of the box and un touched. While just looking them over last night I discovered that the governors are all closing the throttle different amounts. One has the butterfly fully closed. One has the butterfly on what I would call a fast idle. One has the butterfly almost fully open. At least 3/4 of the way. And of course this is the one I want to use untouched. The other 2 will get the governor removed, flywheels and rod changed. Is something on the governor adjustable to return the butterfly to idle? I know the vast majority of you remove them and don't even look at them. Just hoping that someone has encountered this and knows the fix. Only thing I see to do is put a spring on it. My thought about this is will the governor still work as designed? At the RPM designed? Its going on a Barstool for the wife, so it needs to be slower..... Thanks guys!

Most think backwards when it comes to the governer. It has been set to maintain the engine RPM at 3600 when the throttle lever is set at full. If the engine is loadedand the RPM fall the internal mechanism causes the throttle to be opened further, until the engine reaches the 3600. Where the throttle blade is when the engine is not running is irrelevant.

Thanks Kart43 I follow that. But what brings the engine back to idle with the stock setup? Wont it run fast with the governor holding the carb open with the throttle fully closed?

You do that by moving the lever to turtle. In most cases these engines don't idle you slide the lever to rabbit and go till or snowblow, the engine tries to maintain a steady 3600 or it's preset.

I follow everything you have said Kart 43. I know the governor is a limiter but it should not effect the idle before the lever is moved ahead to speed up the engine. At least that is the way every governed stationary engine I have ever been around worked. Am I mistaken about these working like that? All of the ones I have been around were 6 cylinder gas powered welders and Diesel powered water pumps.... I have the lever all the way to the turtle position and it still holds the carb open. I took the tanks off of the one that fully closes in the turtle position and the one that stay way to far open and I cant find any differences. The spring that is on the rod from the governor arm to the carb is what is pulling the carb open. I added a small spring to the governor arm to pull the carb closed. With the spring added it will close the carb and still open the carb 90 plus percent. with out the spring it stays open 50 plus percent and opens the carb 100 percent. All of this is tested with the factory lever, the motor on the bench and not running. Just observing the operation. I discovered this when I was trying to decide how to hook up the throttle cable. The thing I am worried about and trying to figure out is making it return to idle every time. I know the governor will control the RPMs but if it wont return to idle how do you use the thing with any safety? I am knew to all this and trying to figure it out before it hurts me or most importantly the wife.... I can make a Holley do what I want, even running them in pairs but this governor stuff is my down fall. I just want it to run and operate safely and as it was designed to. The other motor without the governor I can understand and don't have any questions about making it function as it should. Again, thanks for the input.

Back