gx200 lacks revs

Playnotwork......sounds like you are in the UK, if I can help you at all give me a call on 07867 395634, I'm based in the south-east, I have built a few GX160 open engines to well over 9hp using some very simple build logic, so I think you are missing a simple trick with the GX200

yes in the uk will try to call you, hopefully over the weekend

keeping cost down by using the bits that i break. current piston is dished, but could lose 3cc by replacing with flat top, head 22cc skimmed by 65". This is basically just a way i have found to deck the block using what i have.

Built up and works ok.
How can I compare the output from this to my other engines, without going to the track and without dyno. Just need a comparison test!

Go easy on me if i am wrong.
If the lash caps are set correctly. Turning over the engine using the pull start slowly past the de-compression on the cam. With no spark plug in the engine turns over very easily. With spark plug replaced the pull start is difficult and virtually stops. Varies diffently for differnt engines.
Question:- is this an indication of the engine compression? And the more solid the pull cord the better the engine?

If the engine revs to 6200 on the stand, that tells me nothing in the engine is terribly wrong. The fact that it won't read that high on the track leads me to believe there are several things that could be less than right.
When things were not going right, the 1st thing I did was check the compression pressure. You need a good gauge, Pep Boys doesn't sell one. I used a Snap On. Expensive, but the best. I have no idea what a good compression reading on your engine would be, it's kind of a comparative thing, check yours, check your friends, compare the differences.
Timing, check yours, ask around, what's good?
Spark plug, it's important, heat range, ask around, what's the competition using.
Jetting, again, ask around. From your responses, I get the idea that your running really lean. Something to check. Too lean can cause detonation, detonation ""kills"" HP. Detonation is caused by excessive heat and/or pressure. In the shop, on the stand, there is very little heat and/or pressure being generated, result, no detonation, but put it on the track, with a load, and you can get detonation.
EGT (exhaust gas temperature) gauge is the perfect way to detect detonation. In my experience, there's no better way to do it.
Calculating CCs. You can do it, you need to know how many ccs in the combustion chamber, but it's best to measure it.

There you have it . Use the new engine :cool:
Its just not the proper way to test an engine in my mind .
I have Bonneville cams in an engine so it kick starts easy .
Compared to another it has low compression, still runs like a scalded dog .

Springs springs springs! Put a set 26# and try it out. The 1.3 rockers are making motor bind with the smaller springs.

"Regular pump gas"?? What octane? If it will rev up on the stand with no load, but not on the track, I always figured there just wasn't enough horsepower.

Back