gx200 lacks revs

got a spare gx160 conrod that is 2mm longer than this rod. could i use that to raise piston in the block and use a gx160 gasket. .035 thou in the hole .045 head gasket gives .080 thou = 2.032mm is that enough clearance? or do i need to put a .010 gasket in as well?

.080" is way too much clearance, tighten up that gap to .030

the gx160 t2 conrod is 2mm longer than a gx160 t1 con rod ( a gx160 t1 piston pin height is 2mm higher than a gx160 t2 piston pin height) so basically mixing up the diffent combinations of rods and pistons to gain 2mm or could lose 2mm. www.msauk.org/assets/hondagx160v10a.pdf look at appendix 3 conrod length (108.1 t1 110.1 t2)
i could easily be mistaken :cool:

We stopped using Honda engines just as the newest generation was released, the reason being there were getting to be variations, you had to buy an engine and then source almost a complete engine in picked parts. I see now the rod would be a variation also.

But would it work. Would give a piston to head clearance if .002. Is that to close, should I also use a .010 gasket. is it like decking the block. Would I have issues with piston rings being to high in block and to close to gasket. Appreciated cheers

They are stock and not ported. Should I skim the 22cc heads or port the 14cc. Never thought it would get this complicated. Only want about 8 HP.

Are you using filters, adaptors and pipes? 8hp is not hard to realize once you remove the govenor and tune the carb.

110 octane is overkill for one of these basically stock engines, even if he had 14:1 compression. Better power could be made with 93 pump gas

If you have gx160 heads on these engines and those heads have not been ported, or are completely stock, you would make better power with the gx200 heads. Your giving up alot of flow by using the gx160 heads if they are stock....ill take flow over compression any day of the week. You can have all the compression you can get, but if you dont have the flow you wont make power

My point wasn't power but pre detonation

If you have gx160 heads on these engines and those heads have not been ported, or are completely stock, you would make better power with the gx200 heads. Your giving up alot of flow by using the gx160 heads if they are stock....ill take flow over compression any day of the week. You can have all the compression you can get, but if you dont have the flow you wont make power
you could be correct in that assumption, but I think you need to know the difference in flow versus the difference in compression ratio. Like where is the crossover point where flow gives you more HP than what amount of compression increase.

It depends on what you are starting with. If the valve face and seat need refinished lapping will not do it, if the cylinder is out of round or tapered, flexible and ball hones will not do it.

been racing with sealed engines fpr the last 2 years so not been messing with any engines recently. Had a sealed rngine blow recently so have th eopurtunity to play again. replace 200 conrod with longer 160 t2 conrod. gone from being 35" in the hole to 40" out of the hole. using the thicker gasket and checking the clearance got about 3" with feeler gauges. dished piston at the moment, Is this to cloese? What would the compression be with a gx200 head skimmed by 65", are the rings to close to the top of the bore. would like to know before i fire it up.
Cheers

Something does not seem correct, The 160 and 200 Honda use the same length connecting rod, how did you gain .075"

hello kart 43
we had the same discussion earlier in the post(2 years ago) the gx160 t2 has a 2mm longer conrod and shorter piston. by placing the longer conrod with the gx200 piston 2mm is gained in piston hieght, bringing the piston out of the bore. taken a while but finally got around to the practical bit.
was basically checking that i am not going to slam the piston into the head

Why not just use the piston for the rod you are using... plus it's a flat top...
Clean up the 14cc head, or clean up the 22cc head and mill it...
The 14cc head generally is good for peak numbers without milling...
The 22cc head can flow great at low to mid lift...
Think it would depend more on track and cam choices...

I use the ARC billet version of that Rod in my builds...
Perfect for a Predator block and piston...

Sorry I remember that now, that is why we ceased using Honda as the T2 came out there werenow too many variations to keep the cost reasonable.

keeping cost down by using the bits that i break. current piston is dished, but could lose 3cc by replacing with flat top, head 22cc skimmed by 65". This is basically just a way i have found to deck the block using what i have.

Playnotwork......sounds like you are in the UK, if I can help you at all give me a call on 07867 395634, I'm based in the south-east, I have built a few GX160 open engines to well over 9hp using some very simple build logic, so I think you are missing a simple trick with the GX200

Back