hanging body

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
first body.. seems i don't have enough room between the tires and the inside of the body?? Heat and bend??? don't want to mess up the new body.
any suggestions for the right way to hang a body

Chase Racen magazine has a website with tech articles. One of them is mounting bodies, well worth reading. I will post the link if I find it.

The above website has some great points to mount a body but what I like to do is remove all tires and rear gears and set the chassis on a flat surface or even plywood on saw horses then proceed with fastening the side pods to the nose. Once fastened I will fit it to the chassis and align the nose with the center of the kart all while making sure my spindles are centered to the cutout for the front tires which I have noticed is usually the mating joint of the body and then mark all the mounting holes with the sharpie. After mounting and moving kart to a stand, install wheels which may require you to trim the bodywork and also verify there is no steering obstruction and also trim as needed to clearance. Hope this helps

The above website has some great points to mount a body but what I like to do is remove all tires and rear gears and set the chassis on a flat surface or even plywood on saw horses then proceed with fastening the side pods to the nose. Once fastened I will fit it to the chassis and align the nose with the center of the kart all while making sure my spindles are centered to the cutout for the front tires which I have noticed is usually the mating joint of the body and then mark all the mounting holes with the sharpie. After mounting and moving kart to a stand, install wheels which may require you to trim the bodywork and also verify there is no steering obstruction and also trim as needed to clearance. Hope this helps

That's my current issue,.. the tires are tight to the body now that its on... so trimming is normal... what about HEAT.. the body dips down right over the left front tire.. with the rivet in it I only have about 1/4 inch or less of space between the tire and the rivet..
can I heat the body from the under side and try to bend it a little like doing a seat...

Don't use rivets, use a kart body kit or hit up the hardware store and get rounded allen head bolts. Some bodies you may have to put the bolts in from the bottom up so they don't hit the tires.

What type of body? Most plastic bodys need a brace from the bumper to the nose to hold it up.ive also boltedthe nose were I wanted and slide the sides forward a bit that will give u a littel more clearence

Leave nose bolted to kart, with side panels bolted to body but not nerf bar, push side panel forward and it will create more tire clearance. Bolt side panel to nerf bar at desired location.

That's my current issue,.. the tires are tight to the body now that its on... so trimming is normal... what about HEAT.. the body dips down right over the left front tire.. with the rivet in it I only have about 1/4 inch or less of space between the tire and the rivet..
can I heat the body from the under side and try to bend it a little like doing a seat...

A few of the bodies out there seem to have clearance problems on the top of the LF wheel , I've had to bend nerf bar upwards to gain room and/or put a bracket from the front bumper rear mounting bolt to the inner lip of the nose to help keep it off the LF tire.

I put the body together first, then sit the kart flat on the ground with wheels and tires on it, and mount the sides to the nerfs while its on the ground, then put on kart stand and bolt the nose to the bumper. Just make sure the line where the nose and sides meet is centered directly over top of the front tire on each side, right in the center of the tire. Have never had to cut a body when mounting this way

Leave nose bolted to kart, with side panels bolted to body but not nerf bar, push side panel forward and it will create more tire clearance. Bolt side panel to nerf bar at desired location.

Careful doing this because it can and does bind up the body, and a bound up body can bind up the chassis also. You want the body to mount up without having to force it in place. If you have to force it like that, then the body isn't right for your chassis or you are mounting it wrong

Quick tip...

Bolt the body together, mount the nose (left to right, front to back properly)

Then lay a roll of electrical tape between the top of the front tires and the bottom of the top of the side panel. Then mark and drill the side panel holes

Gives perfect clearance

Yall making this way harder than it needs to be. Its not rocket science. Just put the body together. have the chassis with tires and wheels on a flat surface. Then with another person helping put the body on the chassis and center the front tires in the wheel openings and make sure the side panels are level with the ground mark and drill holes

Yall making this way harder than it needs to be. Its not rocket science. Just put the body together. have the chassis with tires and wheels on a flat surface. Then with another person helping put the body on the chassis and center the front tires in the wheel openings and make sure the side panels are level with the ground mark and drill holes

The OP has a clearance issue that is a common issue (depending on body) he was asking for suggestions about gaining clearance

Back