Hans devices??sport/hybrid

MikeQ

Anyone have any input on Hans devices? Looks like there is a hybrid model too? We are racing cage karts kids are 6 years old? Any input with using then would be helpful.

I have a NecksGen Rev, and it allows for more position (angles) and less obtrusive positioning. I'm a fan. Plus it's cheaper. :) I'd look into it. I have an extra medium one for sale, but it's probably too big for a 6 yr. old...

Unless you are running a full halo headrest type seat, don't even think about running a Hans. The Hans is a marvelous device, but it is designed to be part of a system - it takes care of forward/near forward motion of the head, while relying on the full halo portion of the seat to deal with side and rear motion of the head. There are a number of devices out there that don't rely on the head rest for side and rear motion, and you need to be looking at them.

Forward motion is forward motion. I'd wear a restraint that prevented basalar skull fracture regardless of side impacts, which HANS-type devices don't protect against anyhow. Plenty of people were wearing HANS devices before full "halo" systems. They were developed in the late 80's, and roadracers with "open" head areas use them too. Make sure the angle of use is appropriate and that it's adjusted correctly, regardless of which brand you choose. If you have a "sprint kart" type seat, the Valhalla 360 device would be a better choice, but I'm not sure that would be a good option for an oval seat.

the Valhalla 360 doesn't work and isn't made to work with shoulder/seat belts. having used both types of seats in a race car and used the Valhalla device in karting, the Valhalla is the only way to go if you are using a typical kart seat. if you do use a oval stock car type seat with the head bolster, then you should use the HANS or once of the restraint systems.

none of the head restraint systems are designed to prevent or lessen side impacts. that's the job of the head bolster (and they do make one for a typical kart seat that should be used in any champ type kart).

have to agree with outrider in one respect....the HANS, the head, shoulder and leg bolsters as well as the rib protectors are all part of the seating system.....but in the case of kart racing, unless your racing a mini sprint or something similar that uses a stock car style seat...then get a halo from LaJoy, mount it to the kart seat and get a good restraint system....if you don't use this, then I wouldn't be on the track without wearing my Valhalla 360 device....

Back