Heat races

Fastwood01

Glad to see that some tracks are starting to go back to heat races again on Saturdays. Kinda missed them. Which do ya'll prefer?

Glad to see that some tracks are starting to go back to heat races again on Saturdays. Kinda missed them. Which do ya'll prefer?

Biggest thing I don't like about heat races for bigger shows is the fact that there are always to many entries, so they split the field for the heats and second heat gets screwed anyway starting feature on outside row reguarless ( just because you were in second heat ) your outside row.

I like heat races cause I always suck at qualifying lol. Ken down here in the south a lot of the tracks start single file.

Prefer heat races for a Friday or saturday show.
Drawing the second heat does have the outside row disadvantage.

I prefer heat races because it gives me more laps on the track. But if there are a lot of classes then it can make the night really long. Some folks worry that they'll get torn up during the heat race and that'll ruin their feature race.
At least do heat races for the kids and juniors, and your adult "fun" class if you have one. Those folks usually can use the practice.

not really unless the drivers are just all over the place and its one wreck after another in the heats, then that can drag it out longer, MD. A couple of the tracks around here still do heat races, i like them myself, it gives the same advantage to everyone in the field rather than just the fastest karts. If you have the fastest kart and you start in the back, there is no reason you shouldnt make it to the front in reasonable time if you really do have the fastest kart, right? Only downside to heats is like someone said above, more chance of tearing up your stuff in a heat race and not make the feature.

Imo qualifying speeds things up and anyone that races at woodleaf will vouche for that and I applaude the crew at the track for what they've done. I prefer qualifying because I'm a budget racer and don't have the tire selection to choose from to run heat races and features

I know we wouldn't go to a local Friday or Saturday show if there was no heats. I can't believe this even happens. If a track can draw that many karts maybe they should race 2 nights a week with the classes split up.

I agree on splitting heats with a lot of entry's in to 2 groups and the second group starting on the outside...We had A and B groups and this year they flip a coin on whether A or B starts on the inside..which I think is much more fare then just staring the B group on the outside everytime.

I agree on splitting heats with a lot of entry's in to 2 groups and the second group starting on the outside...We had A and B groups and this year they flip a coin on whether A or B starts on the inside..which I think is much more fare then just staring the B group on the outside everytime.

That sounds fair, if there are so many they have to split. We've never had that problem

I'm a budget racer myself but still prefer heat races. Seems like it was so much more fun than just qualifying and already being lined up fastest to slowest you already know unless you find something big between qualifying and feature your just going to ride where you start only passing someone if they slip up and only getting passed if you slip up, I had a lot more fun years ago in heat races seeing who I could hold off behind me or who I could get creative enough to find a way around in front of me, yes there was occasionally more stuff tore up but that's racing, it was just a lot more fun to me, I really miss them.

-Rowdy Wayne

"I prefer qualifying because I'm a budget racer and don't have the tire selection to choose from to run heat races and features ."

Often you need a special set of tires, and changes to your engine, etc., in order to qualify well. So your budget takes a hit anyway. But maybe not at your track.

Back