Helmets

racewayphoto

What do the rules say (probably IKF) as far as what helemts need to be? DOT approved? snell ratings? Manufactured date? What are the ruls?

I'm looking at buying a new helmet and don't want to get one that could be deemed not meeting the rules. I'm buying NEW, just want to make sure everything else is ok.

you would probably be safe in buying any helmet that carrries a current Snell rating (SA2010) or the higher end SFI rating. DOT approved just means that it's approved for use on the street and highway, but it doesn't mean that it will stand up to racing. a good racing helmet will usually be identified with a "SA" (Sports Application) that provide for extreme impact resistance and higher fire protection. a snell "M" rating is good also becasue they are rated for motorcycling or other motorsports and offer only slightly less protection than a "SA" rating. You also have "K" rated helmets that are designed for karting. they use the same testing standards as a "SA" rated helmet. Helmets available for sale after Oct 1, 2015 will carry the SA2015 standard....the current standard is SA2010. The difference is that testing will also include frontal restraint tether testing like a HANS uses and low velocity impact and side impact testing.

Here's where I got my info: http://www.racinghelmetguide.com/auto-helmet-ratings.html

if you take a look at this and get you a good rated helmet, then more than likely you are going to be well within the rules....

Back