HELP !!!!! Clone Compression Problem

I just installed a Dyno CL-1 cam, new 10.8 valve springs & a PVL flywheel on a clone motor. Engine is extremely hard to turn over with the pull rope until it gets by the compression point. You can take the plug out and it spins freely. I have checked the valve lash twice and they are set at .003 at TDC cold. What in the world is going on here? Can anyone help, I'm new at the clone engine deal & trying to get the kart ready for the daughter to go to the track Saturday.

Thanks,

Chris

Dots lined up when I installed the camshaft. Is there another way to be 180 off? If it was a small block chevy I could fix it. LOL
Thanks,

Chris

Well back to square one

pull the plug out have valve cover off now roll motor over and look at the valves
open then close then open then close again.the best way is use a wooden dowel
or a long screw driver.place in spark plug hole roll motor over and watch it go
up then down while looking at the valve.then up again then down.then back up
with both valves closed.at that point roll it over just a hair more then set lash.
this will get you off the compression.intake in then close then fire the ex open
then close.

Done this before. I Set valve lash on the EZ spin cycle of the cam. Bout broke my arm when tried to start it. Modified man is on the money with procedure. Also the keyway on your clutch side (PTO) will be in line with your cylinder. That will get you close to TDC.

Its easy enough to just watch the exhaust valve when you spin the engine over to TDC, after the intake valve closes you will see the exhaust rocker bump just a bit, once you see the exhaust rocker bump, turn it just a hair past that point and set your lash on both valves, then spin the engine over a couple more times to the same point again, to where you see the exhaust rocker bump, and recheck/reset lash. The bump in the exhaust rocker is the compression release on the cam. This is how I always set my lash and it works everytime. I set mine to zero lash on both sides cold, anytime your setting the lash at more than zero lash, your giving up lift when that engine gets up to temp. The .002-.003 lash is whats recommended for theses engines as a pressure washer or generator, not as a racing engine. For a racing engine, you want zero lash when its cold. Set the lash as tight as you can get it but make sure the pushrod can still spin freely with your fingers, and that the lash isn't so tight that its holding a valve open. You can pump the chamber full of air like you were doing a leakdown test and find out if you have the lash set too tight and have a valve open or leaking. I like to do a leakdown test after setting the lash on a newly built or rebuilt engine anyways, if its letting air past the valves after you get the last set, pull the head and lap the valves. I lap the valves anytime the head comes off.

Had the valves set before the compression release kicked off. waited till the exhaust valve bumped off the compression release and set them and she fired right up. We'll she how she runs tomorrow.

Thanks,

Chris

Back