Help Matching Tires with Track Conditions?

xkcd

Hey everyone! I hope this is the correct subsection, I was debating between the tire forum and the beginner forum. This is my second season in the sport and I am struggling greatly with tires and prep. I mostly race in PA, sometimes the burris series, the elite series, or just regular weekly shows.

So, to my question, is there a method to matching various tire compounds and durometer readings (in combination with different preps) with track conditions? For example, I notice at a burris race that I'll run 55's all day, but cannot determine if a harder or softer set would be better suited for the track condition or if I should be using a light, medium, or aggressive prep. On a side note, I always have an issue with the kart getting increasingly tight as the day continues (feels like the kart is too much in the track) no matter how much I increase air pressure, could this be related to tire selection or how I prep my ties?

Can someone explain to me, or point me toward a resource that explains this in more detail? Thank you!

Buddy, best thing I can tell you is find a prep and learn it. Those that sell it should be able to help. Ask a lot of questions and try different things with setup.

I can tell you Earl has been very helpful.

Just for reference, start out in first practice when track is wet on say a 40 Duro tire wiped several times during the week, or an aggressive prep trackside. By second practice if track is drying some and getting harder, go to a 45 Duro wiped less. By qualifying if the sun is still up, you may need a little harder tire for 10 lap heats with only one wipe, or stay on the soft tire for 3 lap qualify. By race time if the sun is still up you may need a 50 Duro with acrysol cut with your prep, if its night time the 50 might be too hard. This is just for reference, might need to start out harder or softer depending on your track surface and weight class. This is similar to what I see on southern high bite tracks.

Hey everyone! I hope this is the correct subsection, I was debating between the tire forum and the beginner forum. This is my second season in the sport and I am struggling greatly with tires and prep. I mostly race in PA, sometimes the burris series, the elite series, or just regular weekly shows.

So, to my question, is there a method to matching various tire compounds and durometer readings (in combination with different preps) with track conditions? For example, I notice at a burris race that I'll run 55's all day, but cannot determine if a harder or softer set would be better suited for the track condition or if I should be using a light, medium, or aggressive prep. On a side note, I always have an issue with the kart getting increasingly tight as the day continues (feels like the kart is too much in the track) no matter how much I increase air pressure, could this be related to tire selection or how I prep my ties?

Can someone explain to me, or point me toward a resource that explains this in more detail? Thank you!

Sent you a PM.

Back