Help With Kids Kart

RCZ racer

My 7yr old and I just finished are first full year at Kam Kartway 3.5hp division. We have a 2001 Emmick Left Turn Only cage kart. It is similar to a QRC intermediate. Our track is a 1/9th semi-banked dirt. Mosts night very tacky and fast.
This is our problem. When we run in the middle or high on the turns no problems it is when he has to go low he tells me that it is too hard for him to steer to the left and keep it low. I have tried raising the front air pressure on both RF AND LF. Doesn,t seem to help. I have noticed that the kart is hard to turn left when we are just sitting in the staging area waiting to hit the track.Any help is welcome.

It's a site to see, watching the youngins take to the track and making momma nervous. I have a 6yo in a Buller kid kart and this was his first year and is already awaiting 2016 to start. As far as the stiffness I would start by taking one tie rod loose from either side which at that point you have the spindles separated and can diagnose where the stiffness is by moving the steering wheel back and forth and the disconnected spindle movement. If a spindle is binding it may be from over tightening, try loosening in small increments or whatever the safety pin allows without excess slack.also check your heim joints and give them a shot of oil if needed, otherwise the only other thing that could cause a hard to turn is the tire(s) contacting the body/frame. Hope something here helps or guides you to your problem.

Racer47, the kart is so old that it does not have a caster adjustment. 19Brian, I have looked at all the things you mentioned. I will go over the entire front end again. Thanks for both your input. I will be buying a QRC in the spring with all the adjustments i need for the front end and put this headache behind me. This is just a starter kart to get us on the track and racing.

When you're sitting in the kart and trying to turn left, the left front tire is trying to lift the kart and driver, this could make the steering hard.

On the track, if it's kind of flat down low near the inside edge, it's going to be harder to turn than if you're up on the banking. It might be pushing a little so he has to turn it farther versus being up on the banking where it might not be pushing. In my calculations, the steeper the banking the less stagger you need.

You certainly should be checking the kart all out, but if you find nothing, this explanation might be some help.

Back