Help with motivation

Racercurt

I need help ? I have a 16 year old driver . It’s his first season . He does incredible on track . He’s a sponge with anyone he talks to and then gets out there and applys it . Everyone really likes him a really great athlete .
Bear in mind he’s not my child nor grand child . But he is a close friends grandson . He is from a Divirced household . He is by no means spoiled . I really like him as a young man. He is a ray of hope in these times of laziness .
My problem is on going with him . He will not clean up his shop. He leaves hi value stuff in tge middle of the floor all the time. He’s never ready until the last minute . 3 weeks ago we had some part failures ( just old worn out stuff ) we had a team meeting and laid out what we needed for the kart. His next race day is this Sunday. He is no closer to race day today than he was 2 weeks ago . Parts were bought , team money was spent and here we are not ready . And the same trash is in the shop floor that was there at the team meeting .
When he spied the buggie in my shed ( 2 buggies and one flat ) he was very interested . He showed enough interest that we loaded one for his portion of his step dads garage . Helped and guided him through a complete tear down and reset of the chassis he took home. We put a new motor on (Ducar 212) came up with the proper safety equipment etc . I have scales , scale tables and any set up “thing “ known to oval racing . His first practice day he learned a lot . Didn’t tear up anything. First race ? Finished it - 2 los down but he ran to a checkered flag . 2nd race I was thrilled he broad sided tge tires and tire tge right side off . Didn’t get hyper tension and kept going . He didn’t finish that race but learned a lot . I really see some good “earned “ finishes in his future . I’ve told him if he tears it up ? It’s fine we have what it takes to fix it . And I don’t mind fixing it with him . But the state of the shop is dismal .
I don’t know if I’ve done the right thing ? I told him repeatedly since we started “ you race at the track but most races are won in the shop . He and I talked Sunday in the door if his shop. I told him that from the start I’d help him race it as fast as he could build it , Under a watchful old mans eye . I have been winning Motorsports since 1972 . I have a slight idea how to make it happen . But I can’t for the life of me stand to step into such a disarray of junk.
I’m open for any input

If it's his shop, if he wants to leave it a mess that's his deal. If it's your shop then you can have a say in the shop condition. I'm sure you can take the kart back to your place if you are that worried about it, tell him you want to keep it at your place and he is welcome to come work on it. We have a deal with a chassis builder right now and they are letting us use a complete roller without concession. I hope they know how much it means to my son and I but my shop does end up a mess alot of weeks, they don't come to my shop though so they only see the clean pretty car at the track.

I would agree with the above post. If he's in your shop, using your tools, then your rules apply. If he's in his own place with his own tools, etc, then you've made it his choice at that point.
It's kind of a created problem. This young man has the opportunity to do great things at someone else's expense. He's got a free shop to work out of and good equipment to ride. He's taking advantage of the opportunity given him, but it sounds like he's not got the work ethic that you are seeking.
Short term solution is to leave his shop as is and allow him to learn from his own mistakes - trip over tools and continue his last minute thrash routine until it starts to show with on-track results (or lack thereof.) A few DNSs & DNFs from parts falling off the car might be enough to wake him up to the problem. (Maybe not)
We'll assume that you've taken the time to show him how your shop is organized and mentored him on keeping tools put away neatly, etc. With his fractured family structure, he probably hasn't learned many of these life skills (yet.) Be patient, but also give him definite expectations. If you expect the shop to be kept clean and neat, then be ready for some tough love and having to say no to racing instead of loading up on Saturday morning. Sometimes all it takes is one missed race to be that "wake-up call." Just make sure that he knows the rules ahead of time. Don't just yank the keys because of your expectations -- they need to be clear and mutually agreed on ahead of time.

Thank you for giving this young man a chance. Even if he doesn't quite appreciate it now, if he sticks with it, he will appreciate it years down the road.

All the best,
Brian Carlson

My son (13) is still learning that races are won in the garage also. We're most likely going to miss a points race Saturday to try and teach him a lesson. We just got back from the beach but before we left I accumulated all the parts needed to refresh the karts and had the motors gone over. He's on summer break now and we had a plan that he would put his together during the day so all I had to do was go over it and then do mine. All was picked up Monday during my lunch and I dropped it off to him and told him motors and parts are here. He gave me the teenager grumble like I was bothering him. Sure enough I get home and he's in the same spot watching TV. My kart is now ready and his is in pieces. I refuse to come home from work and do his while he's watched TV all day. Maybe I'm wrong I don't know.

On to the garage part. I will say, since we've moved into this house the garage (shop) has been a mess. I think what has happened is I went and bought all new tools when we got into the karts and pretty much gave them to him. We really don't have any storage yet. I have gotten him a very nice tool back that we work out of and take to the track. But during the week tools are strung everywhere in the garage till they get packed up to go. We really need some shelves for special tools and a tool box or cabinets for regular tools. Our old garage had built in cabinets that worked nice. We've had wins this year and only DNFs have come from bad wrecks so it's still possible to have your kart in good shape and fast with a messy garage....LOL

My son (13) is still learning that races are won in the garage also. We're most likely going to miss a points race Saturday to try and teach him a lesson. We just got back from the beach but before we left I accumulated all the parts needed to refresh the karts and had the motors gone over. He's on summer break now and we had a plan that he would put his together during the day so all I had to do was go over it and then do mine. All was picked up Monday during my lunch and I dropped it off to him and told him motors and parts are here. He gave me the teenager grumble like I was bothering him. Sure enough I get home and he's in the same spot watching TV. My kart is now ready and his is in pieces. I refuse to come home from work and do his while he's watched TV all day. Maybe I'm wrong I don't know.

On to the garage part. I will say, since we've moved into this house the garage (shop) has been a mess. I think what has happened is I went and bought all new tools when we got into the karts and pretty much gave them to him. We really don't have any storage yet. I have gotten him a very nice tool back that we work out of and take to the track. But during the week tools are strung everywhere in the garage till they get packed up to go. We really need some shelves for special tools and a tool box or cabinets for regular tools. Our old garage had built in cabinets that worked nice. We've had wins this year and only DNFs have come from bad wrecks so it's still possible to have your kart in good shape and fast with a messy garage....LOL
I don’t think you are wrong at all. I would load my kart up and go racing this weekend without him if he can’t put forth the effort to race. You can’t do it for him, that’s not the way forward as you well know. Maybe sitting out a weekend will be the wake up call he needs like Mr. Carlson said. I hope it is for your sake. I feel your pain.

I don’t think you are wrong at all. I would load my kart up and go racing this weekend without him if he can’t put forth the effort to race. You can’t do it for him, that’s not the way forward as you well know. Maybe sitting out a weekend will be the wake up call he needs like Mr. Carlson said. I hope it is for your sake. I feel your pain.
I'm sure he's used to me doing it. He's a mostly A and a B here and there student, so during school I don't mind doing it as long as he's working hard on his school work. They send home a lot of homework and he's had some good size projects this year also.

If it's his shop, if he wants to leave it a mess that's his deal. If it's your shop then you can have a say in the shop condition. I'm sure you can take the kart back to your place if you are that worried about it, tell him you want to keep it at your place and he is welcome to come work on it. We have a deal with a chassis builder right now and they are letting us use a complete roller without concession. I hope they know how much it means to my son and I but my shop does end up a mess alot of weeks, they don't come to my shop though so they only see the clean pretty car at the track.
No on the taking it back to “ my shop” and I’ll continue to help him at the track. I do make a mess at the shop but I also stop and put everything back in it’s proper spot. Thank you for the input

Just an update - kart wasn’t ready Sunday Morning, went anyway , missed practice, missed heat , loose parts DNF on the feature . I don’t know where he is on this racing project . But the shop was still trashed Sunday Morning. Next race in 2 weeks we will see

1595492B-C442-4340-A323-15701D0D8100.jpeg
big change , I guess all it took was one DNF and presto change o . He organized his shop . I’m excited !!

Same here. Although my son did get to race BMX last Sat he was bummed about missing points. He apologized this week and had it ready early. He did say he was nervous. Right before vacation we purchase our first set of scales and his needed to be scaled before we raced. It's our first time doing it ourselves. I can get flustered if things don't go right and he wasn't sure how it was gonna go. Turned out perfect though. The setup worked like a breeze and his kart was still in the numbers. Now we know it's back on tires and his driving.

Same here. Although my son did get to race BMX last Sat he was bummed about missing points. He apologized this week and had it ready early. He did say he was nervous. Right before vacation we purchase our first set of scales and his needed to be scaled before we raced. It's our first time doing it ourselves. I can get flustered if things don't go right and he wasn't sure how it was gonna go. Turned out perfect though. The setup worked like a breeze and his kart was still in the numbers. Now we know it's back on tires and his driving.
I’d have to say a Degree fro the “School of Hard Knocks” is priceless.

Back