Help with predator 79cc

Delta54

Hoping to get some info on the 79cc predator. Vs flatty purple plate. I have a flatty purple plate on alcohol already set up and on the kart for my 5 year old son. He spent last summer running circles on our cul-de-sac paved driveway working mainly with knowing what flag means what and controlled starts and stops. He seems to have that down. The track we plan on going to this summer has a comer/79 predator class ages 5-7 and then flatty 6-8 purple. Should I spend the money on the predator or wait another year and keep what I already have. This track also has practice only days in the schedule...and my thought was to possibly use what I already have and let him get seat time. I guess my other questions are does the predator have same motor mounts as the fh and other than removing rpm limiter are there any other things I would have to do to get the motor ready? Any help would be much appreciated by fellow crew chief dads that may have already run into this or similar situations. Thanks for your time

I would talk to the track owner about letting your son run with the purple plates if you already have one...maybe offer to start him at the tail of the field for the first few races until they see how he can hang with the older kids. That will be your best option as far as cost goes, and will get him seat time and experience at the same time without needing to buy another engine. Most small local tracks wont have a problem doing that usually, but big races they usually don't allow it. The 79cc predator will use a completely different and smaller motor mount than the flathead does, so you would need to buy a mount also to use that engine

Back