Hemi or non hemi

bullerman

What do most prefer? Does one have an advantage over the other? I do know one guy that runs the non hemi and likes it. I am going to buy one at some point.

I think for the most part people prefer the non hemi and maybe because there is some work involved for the hemi head to except bigger lift cams and maybe too in the piston. is there more power to be gain in a hemi? if you are just looking to build one and have no rules go by and don't mind the extra work involved. I think you could still have some fun with it.

Depends on what class....stock I'd say Hemi. Not for power reasons but for parts and ease of working on them. The hemi's seem to have more "stock" building parts available like top plates, brackets, etc.
If you're able to get different springs for the stock class the non-hemis have automotive keepers and you can definitely throw tools dealing with those haha. I just got done with a couple for stock class and wish I'd gone hemi for ease of working on them. Just my $.02

Split keepers 😊 . Boy the flatheads were a bear with dual springs and no access .
A small screw driver and a bit of grease .
Pop them off easy with a socket and hammer . Fill combustion chamber with a rag
Deep 3/4 socket on top quick wack and their off . Best to cover them with another rag . Flying keepers are only found after the purchase of replacments .

Last edited:
If you're talking true box stock Predators, for what it's worth I've tried Hemi and non-Hemi versions and found no significant differences in power or speed. Very little difference in lap times, and what difference there was did not matter during races. Those lap time differences were likely due to changing track conditions and driver inconsistencies more than engine differences.

If your plans are to modify (legal or not) then Mac_49 is right about the Hemi having more parts available.

I bought a pretty strong hemi, modified for small block open, and it was really smooth and strong until I started running into the stock rockers breaking. Theyre pretty weak when using strong valve springs. The only answer is to run roller rockers which do not some in stock lengths, which caused piston to valve clearance problems. I really prefer the non hemi heads.

Back