high cross spindle or caster block?

spincycle

sorry for my lack of knowledge, but if you wanted to get HIGH cross (above 70% lets say) for a minecon do you need a different caster block or different spindle...or both? thx!

Last edited:
A caster block won’t help you and I don’t believe PRC sells high cross spindles, just standard and no cross.

trying to help a friend who bought a 2018 minecon, with the RF all the way up and LF all the way down, cant get less than 68% cross, with RF spindle all the way down and LF spindle all the way up the cross is at 73%...does have the rear axle level at the marks on the cassettes....bent frame maybe? also, doesnt have the RF caster block spacer in right now, not sure if thats affecting things or not...thx!

Caster and cambers set?
Staggers correct front and rear?
Toe?
Tires based off 34 inch RS?
All affect cross percentages.
If starting in odd position with one or more, cannot expect to get the rest of the setup to work as advertised.

If all correct, I would start by replacing both spindles. Likely the problem is there, although frame bend not completely out of the question.

Last edited:
trying to help a friend who bought a 2018 minecon, with the RF all the way up and LF all the way down, cant get less than 68% cross, with RF spindle all the way down and LF spindle all the way up the cross is at 73%...does have the rear axle level at the marks on the cassettes....bent frame maybe? also, doesnt have the RF caster block spacer in right now, not sure if thats affecting things or not...thx!
RF spindle would be up and LF down to lower cross.

Caster and cambers set?
Staggers correct front and rear?
Toe?
Tires based off 34 inch RS?
All affect cross percentages.
If starting in odd position with one or more, cannot expect to get the rest of the setup to work as advertised.

If all correct, I would start by replacing both spindles. Likely the problem is there, although frame bend not completely out of the question.
Sounds like the same guy I've been trying to help per text and phone calls, if so yes stagger are correct, air pressures correct, cambers are close, last night I told him to even washers up both sides and he still had 73 % cross, left and nose is real close.

Bent frame should show excessive high or low cross .
What you have seems to be a very small range of adjustment .
adding the spacer technically would lower cross .

Bent frame should show excessive high or low cross .
What you have seems to be a very small range of adjustment .
adding the spacer technically would lower cross .
My own kart is a 2018 Minecon, it's not bent I know for sure, I had the cross as low as 56-57% and as high as 68% with only moving washers on both spindles with the rear axle level...🧐

It wouldn't get it too 56% . I diubt even 2% .
Slide the wheel out 1/2" and check it .
I was trying to remember what was the issue PRC was having with the Minecon frame that made them decide that the caster block was needed...do you by chance?

One of the things I do walking kart pits and looking at karts on the stands in addition to automatically looking at chain alignment and rear tire placement in or out is to go around front if I can do it courteously or get down and look at the right front preload.

When I see one of the three odd compared to what I'm normally looking at I watch the karts performance out on the track to see if it's good and even outstanding or not so good.

Usually, when one of those three is out of the norm except if it's a super heavy who's going to be riding on their small left rear tire, they don't do so well on the track.

Eyeball his preload and compare it to others learn a norm for it and if it's bent the oddity will point you right to it.
If the right front of the frame has it hanging down excessively there's no way he's going to adjust low cross into it with normal tire sizes.

I've never really looked at how axles are laying level-wise to find a norm for myself but after writing this I will because it may start to clue me into what they're doing with axle bearing height.

Those three things and now maybe a fourth tell a lot about how you will expect what you see will perform on the track.
I think there's also no way he can be stuck with such a high cross all the time without the right-front hanging way down or the left-front up to high unless the waist of the kart is bent, which is not likely.

Since most turns sprint racing are to the left we use to put some preload into sprint karts by putting the left front up on a brick with someone standing on the left rear, while you jumped on the right front to bend/twist the right front down some.
If you do it all the time you can pretty much feel if the cross is ok by comparing how it feels to lift the left and right front.
That's also one of the first things to check if it comes in either super fast, a toad or pushing or loose.
A scale will give you numbers but a feel for weight out will give you setup no different then driver feel out on the track. maybe???? ... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish i could find my coyote set up sheets . They had a teeter toter weigh out device that worked just that way lifted one wheel with scale .

I wish i could find my coyote set up sheets . They had a teeter toter weigh out device that worked just that way lifted one wheel with scale .
Yes and I think it was a hydraulic pump and gauge.
I never saw anyone use one and also always wanted to try it.

Back